Avalanche Pics
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Avalanche Pics on 01/07/2009 21:01:17 MST Print View

Intense warm rains following three weeks of heavy snows is causing flooding and avalanche problems in Western Washington.

Check out the Hyak ski area at Snoqualmie Pass...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=avalanche+and+hyak&d=taken-20090107-&ct=0

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Avalanche Pics on 01/07/2009 21:19:52 MST Print View

Good grief, this is becoming an annual occurrence up there. And here we sit in California drought year three (the storms keep tracking north).

Any word about washed out roads and backcountry trails?

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Rivers haven't crested yet on 01/08/2009 03:12:22 MST Print View

Things here are not good. The rivers haven't crested yet and there is widespread flooding. As for trail damage, nobody knows. Last few weeks brought nearly 18 inches of snow in Olympia, which is on the Puget Sound. In the last couple of days we've received six inches of rain in Olympia, in the mountains, they've received as much as 15 inches of rain, which is causing massive snow meltoff in the foothills. Pineapple Express is killing us.

Mt. Rainier National Park has closed its main enterance as a percausion because of the rising creeks. My girlfriend lives near Mt. Rainier and the Puyallup River is rising near flood stage and many people are flooded out of their homes.

If I were to guess, I'd say trail damage in the central and south Cascades is likely. Also Olympic National Park/National Forest.

Dirk

Edited by dirk9827 on 01/08/2009 07:58:53 MST.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Rivers haven't crested yet on 01/08/2009 10:07:26 MST Print View

Dirk,

I checked the Seattle Times this a.m. and it really does look like you're in the thick of it at present (evacuations, freeway closures, etc.). Here's hoping everybody stays safe until the waters recede.

I learned to backpack in the Cascades and Olympics and the area remains dear to my hiker's heart.

Rick

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Improvement today! on 01/08/2009 11:52:13 MST Print View

Thanks for all of your good wishes, Rick. Things are improving today. The rain pretty much stopped, thankfully and we are supposed to get some sunshine this weekend. It's been real wreck and despite the flooding, it could have been a lot worse. Had a few rivers crested a foot to three feet higher, many more people would have had to evacuate their homes!

Alas, you must return for some more backpacking here soon!

Dirk

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Improvement today! on 01/11/2009 16:31:04 MST Print View

Rainier is closed for now above Longmire due to a washout/slump on the road.

With Carbon River Rd. destroyed yet again in the fall (washed out just before the park boundary) and the road hasn't been checked out yet.....who knows how much worse it is. Hoping that the old bridge over the Carbon River gorge is still there on Hwy 165. (Only access to the area!)

Heck the bridge on Hwy 169 between Black Diamond and Enumclaw has been closed since fall, with the first floods. The bridge was "moving" it seems. For now, there are two ways around - but that is the main road to access the highways to Rainier.

I have a feeling Hwy 123 will have major issues again. As will Hwy 410 going to Rainier.

Sigh.