Locale: Montana
Tarptent Sublite Tent Review on 01/06/2009 19:55:42 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Tarptent Sublite Tent Review

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Hybrid on 01/07/2009 08:36:27 MST Print View

Am I the only person who would like to see a hybrid version of this? I'd like to see the horizontal panels on top made from something impermeable (spinnaker, etc.), and the side panels out of tyvek. With a screen door, of course......

Edited by skinewmexico on 01/07/2009 10:37:37 MST.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Hybrid on 01/07/2009 08:56:36 MST Print View

Wow! This just never occurred as a possibility. Great idea!

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - M

Locale: No Cal
Tarptent Sublite Hybrid on 01/07/2009 09:19:18 MST Print View

Again, throw in a Vesitbule and I'll buy one .... yesterday !

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Tarptent Sublite Tent Review on 01/07/2009 09:38:12 MST Print View

Looks as if room could be improved at minimal weight by putting a short carbon fiber rod horizontally between the hiking pole tips. Perhaps that could change the geometry in a way that would allow Will's fixed-length poles. Useful idea? Creeping featurism?

Edited by blean on 01/07/2009 09:38:55 MST.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Tarptent Sublite Tent Mod on 01/07/2009 10:32:24 MST Print View

I received my modified silnylon SubLite back from Henry this morning. The change from a .75" apex attachment point to a 1.5" should make a major strength improvement when used in heavy snow or very, very high wind. I'd estimate that the weight difference is only 1 or, at the very most, 2 grams. It's my understanding that is to be the standard size for future production.

Love this TT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Sublite on 01/07/2009 10:38:34 MST Print View

Creeping featurism. Great term.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re:Tarptent Sublite Tent Review on 01/07/2009 14:13:37 MST Print View

Wills review was very good but it did not mention what the Sublite is like in windy conditions.

As I am looking at the Sublite as a possible 4 season tent, I would like how it handles strong winds strong winds.

Tony

John Kays
(johnk) - M

extra pole on 01/07/2009 14:41:37 MST Print View

An examination of design and actual use reveals that an extra pole horizontally between the two support poles would be completely superflous. The tent pitches tight and the tyvek model, at least, experiences no sag or droop with damp cool air. There is ample room for a single ample sized adult hiker without slightest feeling of being cramped. There would be no experiential enhancement resulting from an extra pole. There is a bird's eye photo looking straight down on the tent showing the design outline in the review which might illustrate this.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Strut for 2-person Tarptent Sublite on 01/07/2009 15:29:29 MST Print View

John,

I agree that the existing Sublite doesn't need a strut similar to the Rainbow to increase headroom. However, do you think a strut could be used to increase the Sublite to a 2-person shelter? I think so, and bet it would be well under 2 pounds.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

2 person Sublite on 01/07/2009 16:15:23 MST Print View

Casey,

There sure would room enough for that little darling on your shoulders but the peak design of the of the Sublite would require some major design alteration to accomodate two adults, in my opinion anyway.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Sublite for Two on 01/07/2009 16:19:05 MST Print View

Go with duel doors and a single interior center pole, design done. Peak height would likely need to be raised for additional width when sitting upright.

Edited by thomdarrah on 01/07/2009 16:31:30 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Sublite on 01/07/2009 16:37:26 MST Print View

Every time people add dual doors and a vestibule to the Sublite, I get a picture in my mind of a............Double Rainbow.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Sublite on 01/07/2009 16:41:49 MST Print View

I would leave the TT lineup as is. I feel that the options desired by most are well covered by the shelters now offered.

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - M

Sublite "Improvements" on 01/07/2009 17:43:20 MST Print View

Sure .. I'll take a Rainbow .... In Tyvek !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Tarptent Sublite Tent Review on 01/07/2009 19:02:39 MST Print View

Nicely balanced review, as usual, Will.

I was initially more attracted to the Tyvek version but this statement gives me pause:

>>During a high intensity thunderstorm, I saw water droplets forming on the inside walls of the canopy that dripped onto me and my gear. The problem was accentuated by "condensation splatter" caused by hail impacting the outside of the tent.

Based on your use, would you say that the silnylon version would be more appropriate for the kind of thunderstorms we get in the Colorado high country? Thanks.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Tarptent Sublite Tyvek Water Resistance on 01/07/2009 19:09:25 MST Print View

I have used my Sublite Tyvek on one 2 day trip thus far and can report its wind worthiness is excellent. Haven't had it in rain yet but it seems to me that due to its horizontal orientation, the only panel that would leak when "wetted out" is the one spanning from the apex to the rear carbon fiber struts. The other panels are quite steep & it would seem that water would just wick down the sides & drip off the lower edges. Has anyone considered using something like Scotchguard just on the one horizontal panel? This would be an easier, less expensive variation of Joe's idea of "hybrid" panels & would presumably not alter the tent's breathability that much. Any thoughts or comments?

John Kays
(johnk) - M

rain and hail on 01/07/2009 19:50:12 MST Print View

I would like to hear more from Will regarding water dripping through. As you might know, this is not consistent with my usage which includes both rain and hail. The last storm using the PROTOTYPE TySub was in November consisting of approximately 6 hours of moderately heavy rain. The tent walls not only did not drip but were dry to the touch during the rain and there was no condensation. Following this VERY FAVORABLE TEST RESULT I bought and paid for a production model of the tent. Apparently, from Will's experience and from reports from folks in the NW, certain conditions will not resist penetration of precipitation.

Edited by johnk on 01/07/2009 22:19:48 MST.

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - M

Tyvek Rain worthiness on 01/07/2009 21:08:29 MST Print View

I'll echo John's experience..

I spent a full day in constant rain in my Sublit Tyvek .. with ZERO condensation issues..

Granted . it was August . in the Sierras .. at @ 9000 feet .. However, again ( sorry guys /... for my contsant whining on this subject ) the only thing I missed was a vestibule to store gear / cook my dinner in ..

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
Performance comparisons with the Contrail? on 01/07/2009 22:42:40 MST Print View

If you have adjustable trekking poles and get the sil nylon version, it seems this would turn the Sublite into a highly recommended shelter. Is that right?

Some performance comparisons with the Contrail would be good - which one of these shelters should a hiker buy?