Gabrielino National Scenic Trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
Gabrielino National Scenic Trail help on 01/04/2009 21:27:50 MST Print View

From those who read my previous post about looking for a ocean hike thanks for your help but after talking to my gf she wants to be able to take our dog on our 3 year anniversary ( feb 7 ) So i have been looking around for backpacking places and i was wondering if any one has some information on Gabrielino National Scenic Trail, San Gabriel Mountains, Los Angeles County. I found a 40 mile loop so i could make it into a 3 or 4 day trip depending on how hard we want it to be.

http://www.trailsgalore.com/trails/1000843_Gabrielino_National_Scenic_Trail_California.html

This is were i got most of my information about elevation and length of the trail. however my questions are

1. In feb from what i read there is not much snow there? the max elevation we would be going is 5k.
2. is there a abundant source of creeks or places to filter water? cant find a topo map without buying one.
3. To those that have hiked it how was it?

Those are my main questions and thanks for those who know the area and can help.

andrew

Edited by andrewz on 01/04/2009 21:28:51 MST.

Nick Chen
(fleetparadox) - F

Locale: Socal
Gabrielino Trail on 01/04/2009 23:33:20 MST Print View

I've hiked the Gabrielino Trail as one trip, as well as doing many dayhikes on segments of it.

I found this website to be a great source of info (as well as complete maps) http://www.caliberdt.com/~bill/may2004hike/index.htm#part2

It's a very easy trail to follow and there are water sources along the complete route (I would suggest carrying 1.5-2L). This past week I hiked from Red Box & camped overnight at Valley Forge. There was snow along the whole segment but nighttime temps weren't below freezing (maybe mid to high 40s?). It was actually pretty warm.

Also, most of the sources I've seen say the trail is around 30 miles... Chantry Flat to JPL Parking lot. It might be 40 miles if you throw in Mt. Wilson (?). Great as a 2 day or 3 day trip.

Edited by fleetparadox on 01/04/2009 23:35:49 MST.

michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
thank nick, also on 01/05/2009 10:14:25 MST Print View

If you happen to know the area pretty well i am trying to get at least 2 choices to pick from, could u suggest any other trips around that area? Or do you think that would be the best one? I live up in yosemite national park and the snow level is just to low down here and my gf does not want to do snow camping. I am not that big of a fan yet either. We are looking for a 2 night 3 day hike. Thanks for your help so far.

andrew

Nick Chen
(fleetparadox) - F

Gabrielino Trail on 01/05/2009 17:34:46 MST Print View

Well Andrew,

The Gabrielino is great, for how far it is from the city. However, since you're from a much more scenic part of the state I don't think you'll be THAT impressed. How about hikes near SF? or Sequoia?

michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
nick on 01/05/2009 19:20:15 MST Print View

I have already looked at some pictures of the trail and i really was not going into the hike expecting it to be the same. I know i live in a really scenic place and sadly it can be taken for granted. We just wanted to go some were a little different seeing as how we have rarely been hiking out of Yosemite. We have thought of some ocean hiking by SF on point reyes but we also really wanted to bring our dog on our anniversary. I will check out some places in sequoia but i "assumed" that they would have just as much snow as we have. We have snow down to 3000 feet especially on shade sides of the mountains. I will check out some places in seqio and thanks again nick.

andrew

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Gabrielino Trail on 01/05/2009 21:28:24 MST Print View

The Gabrielino is my backyard, I run about 15 miles of it once a week.
Nick's info is good.
As for scenery, I love the area (of course I do, it's home). Don't compare it to anything, enjoy it for what it is. The San Gabriels are the San Gabriels...Oak trees and mellow canyons, conifers and snow in the higher country.
The Sierra is the Sierra...
I think the Angeles National Forest is (thankfully) very under appreciated. The crowds completely disappear once you're 2 miles in. Most of Los Angeles has no idea you can go snow camping in less than 40 minutes driving and hit trails that will take you 50+ miles in only minutes from Pasadena.
Go for it- if it's what you're looking for, the Gabrielino trail should be easy weather compared to many other places right now.
Pick up the Tom Harrison maps:
Angeles Front Country (I think about all of the Gabrielino should be on this one)
and Angeles High Country.
Cheers.

michelle Annett
(andrewz) - F
Craig on 01/05/2009 22:08:42 MST Print View

Thanks for more information on it. We pretty much decided after that post we would be going to the lost angeles area. Gabrielino trail most likely as seeing how i have done the most research on it. However if its your "backyard" do you suggest anything else in angeles? i don't know the mountains that well at all but and gabrielino trail looked the most fun but if you know anything else in that elevation area give a shout out. We have decided we will be going to that area though. Thanks

andrew

Nick Chen
(fleetparadox) - F

Gabrielino Campsites on 01/06/2009 00:25:24 MST Print View

Andrew,

I see what you mean about the snow line... don't get me wrong, the Gabrielino was one of the most enjoyable destinations I've had due to its accessibility and thus my friends' willingness to go.

Another hike I've heard is the Backbone Trail - suppose to be 70 miles from Point Mugu to Santa Monica (haven't done it yet though).

You can email me about the Gabrielino and I'll give you a more detailed recap (which campsites are horrible, which to shoot for... parking etc.) fleetparadox "at" gmail.com

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Gabrielino Campsites on 01/06/2009 01:37:19 MST Print View

Hey Nick,

If you don't mind, could you also forward or PM me the information about which campsites are good and which are not etc. etc.?