Forum Index » GEAR » Sleeping Bag Questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Sleeping Bag Questions on 01/05/2009 21:05:06 MST Print View

John,

It's a little heavier than some of the bags you've mentioned, but I have a nice, odor-free Mtn Hardwear down "upgrade" bag. It has a 40* rating but I've taken it colder w/ a fleece. Size long, weighs 2lbs 6oz on my scale. (This bag can be zipped into most bags to greatly improve temp rating, also unzips to make a great quilt)

Never stored stuffed, only in its mesh storage sack (both sacks included). I'll ship it to the lower 48 for $75 via Paypal.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Kelty's are great on 01/05/2009 22:09:17 MST Print View

I have a Light Year +15 and it's amazingly warm, and for just a week would do just fine. You can find it for 135 bucks. I'm sure a 20 or 25 would be fine too.

john braun
(Hitman) - F

Locale: West Florida
Kelty Lightyear 25 or 15? on 01/05/2009 22:13:25 MST Print View

I found a Kelty Light Year 15 for $109 as well. But it weighs 9 ounces more than the 25. I don't really think I'll need a bag rated for 15 degrees in April. But to be honest, I'm kind of torn since it's the same price.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

The 15 on 01/05/2009 23:10:40 MST Print View

I love it, like I said....NEVER been cold. It weighs a bit more, but nice to know when you have it that you won't freeze no matter how conditions change. Where did you find it for 109, btw?

john braun
(Hitman) - F

More weight to carry isn't good on 01/06/2009 00:12:50 MST Print View

I know...

It's just that the temps will only get to 30s at worst (more than likely) while I'm in the AT in April.

And I live in Florida. I'll rarely need a bag rated to 15.

So, the Kelty lightyear 15 is only $109 (plus shipping). But I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Big Agnes Horse Thief for $139 (includes shipping). It's only rated for 35, but 1 lb and 11 ounces.

I'm looking for light.

Edited by Hitman on 01/06/2009 00:15:27 MST.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Well that makes sense. on 01/06/2009 00:27:11 MST Print View

I know some people make the Horse Thief work in the Sierra in summer, so that should probably do just fine. Where did you find it for 109? I'm thinking of getting another for my boyfriend.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: Sleeping Bag Questions on 01/06/2009 01:42:47 MST Print View

John,

Don't count on the temps on the AT 'only' getting down to 30 at night in April. A friend of mine experienced temps in the teens in April last year (granted that was in VA, not GA, but the GA mountains are a lot colder than the flatlands). You never know when a freak cold snap can happen.

However, in 2006 I hiked GA in April during a freak warm spell and temps got as high as 90 in the day, maybe 60's at night. It's really hard to predict what April in the mountains will bring, especially if you factor in wind chill and many shelters/established camp sites on the AT in Georgia experience significant wind that time of year.

Most AT thru hikers will use a 20 degree bag if they start in March/April. The Campmor bag is fairly heavy, but a lot of folks on a budget rave about it, and agree the rating is about right.

My suggestion would be to go with a well-rated 20 degree bag and add layers if it's colder than expected, or use it 'quilt' style if warmer. A pair of long john pants and shorts make a good sleeping combo - you can use either or both depending on conditions.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Re: More weight to carry isn't good on 01/06/2009 01:48:46 MST Print View

"So, the Kelty lightyear 15 is only $109 (plus shipping). But I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Big Agnes Horse Thief for $139 (includes shipping). It's only rated for 35, but 1 lb and 11 ounces.

I'm looking for light."

There's a saying that's pretty much true - warm, light, or cheap - pick any two. I'd say go for warm, which unfortunately means you have to choose between light or cheap.

Edited by RiverRunner on 01/06/2009 01:52:32 MST.

john braun
(Hitman) - F

My Sleeping Bag Has Arrived on 01/09/2009 22:37:49 MST Print View

Thanks to all you who gave your advice.

I decided on a Kelty Light Year 25. It arrived today and I just ordered it two days ago!!!

Got it at www.moontrail.com for $109 +$9 shipping. They have the Light Year 15 for the same price too.

I heard it's not a good idea to spray a water proofing agent on the outside of the bag like you would do a tent or backpack. But is there anything else to do to help protect it?