Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Beer Can Stove Questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Hiorns
(hanson)

Locale: Michigan
Beer Can Stove Questions on 01/02/2009 08:14:42 MST Print View

Hello all,

I just built my first beer can stove and it seems to work well (although, I've never used one before this). It brought 16oz of tap water to a roiling boil in 6 minutes in 25-30 degree weather, then burned another 3 minutes with 1 oz of Heet. It weighs .25 oz, and the windscreen/pot support is another .5 oz.

It seems this is fine for boiling water, but what if we catch a fish or two? Has anyone cooked (rather than boiled water) with an alcohol stove? Particularly a beer can stove?

This is the one I built...
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_open_jet_alcohol_stove.html

Thanks for your comments/suggestions...

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Beer Can Stove Questions on 01/02/2009 13:55:07 MST Print View

One of the easiest methods of cooking fish is to poach them. I cut the fish into sections that will fit in my pot and use only a little water. You must keep gently "stirring" them about to cook them properly.

I haven't used an alcohol stove to do this but you might try it. I don't really think that alcohol stoves are meant to do much more than boil water. They require a very efficient wind screen to work effectively.

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
Don't see why not on 01/05/2009 11:12:25 MST Print View

I don't see why this wouldn't work. As long as you didn't need much time to cook it. Sounds like you would have about 10 min of cook time with the 1 oz of fuel. That should be enough time to get it cooked. Of course, you could always give it a try at home before you do it on the trail.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Beer Can Stove Questions on 01/05/2009 11:45:19 MST Print View

How much alcohol will your stove hold?

Dennis Hiorns
(hanson)

Capacity on 01/05/2009 14:32:55 MST Print View

My stove will hold at least two ounces, but I don't know how it burns filled that high...I have to give it a try. That would, in theory, give me about 20 minutes of burn time. I'm also tinkering with a larger aluminum can which I think could easily hold 3-4 ounces (if need be).

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Capacity on 01/05/2009 15:28:37 MST Print View

I made a "pressure" type, top jet, stove using two Fosters 24oz. cans. I made it tall enough to take 4oz.of alcohol. It's been a while ago and I don't remember how long it burns, but it allows the flexibility to burn for any time I might require. Can you post a photo of your stove?

Dennis Hiorns
(hanson)

Beer Can Stove Pics on 01/05/2009 17:33:08 MST Print View

Here's the stove...Alcohol Stove Close-UpAlcohol Stove

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Beer Can Stove Pics on 01/05/2009 18:31:06 MST Print View

Nice work. I only bothered to polish my stoves if they were to be gifts. I have made some similar stoves, but mine had side burner jets. They work best with large diameter pots. Is the can you used the same diameter as a coke can? If so you might use a larger diameter can to increase the volume. Alcohol stoves are fun to build. There are so many designs to try. Though they all work about the same. The big variable is the stove/pot/windscreen relationship. I believe the Caldera Cone, with most any stove, is the most efficient way to go.