Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
backcountry coffee
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
MSR Mugmate on 08/17/2009 17:49:23 MDT Print View

+1 for the MSR Mugmate here. it's less than an ounce, and works well for me. I bring along whatever African coffee I have at the time, pre-ground. I need a filter because I brew my stuff so strong it makes the stuff they serve at Starbucks seem like green tea in comparison.

Willem Jongman
(willem) - F - M
Ortlieb coffee filter on 08/18/2009 13:45:13 MDT Print View

I prefer the yellow Ortlieb coffee filter: 1.1 ounce plus two of my spare tent stakes. See http://www.ortleib.de/index_white.php?lang=en&m1=0&m2=0&file=p-search.php under accessories
Willem

Ryan Heck
(heckdog) - F
Press-Bot on 10/05/2013 23:42:31 MDT Print View

Reviving an old thread to support a Grand Canyon guide's efforts to bring back a classic

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/briansiebert/press-bot-a-high-quality-french-press-in-a-nalgene

Edited by heckdog on 10/05/2013 23:43:01 MDT.

Brendan Yeager
(byeager) - M

Locale: New England
JetBoil Coffee Press on 10/06/2013 08:43:02 MDT Print View

If you carry a JetBoil stove, their Coffee Press is a great choice. It weighs under 1 oz and makes a great French Press cup of Joe. You can strain the grounds well enough that they are easy to pack out.

JetBoil Coffee Press

This solution does require a separate mug, since the pot is full of grounds and you can't drink around the press. I couldn't bring myself to pay for a Ti mug or shoulder the weight of one of the cheaper ones so I have taken to carrying a paper to go coffee cup with lid - never put it on the scale but it can't be more than 1 oz.

I like my coffee with cream and sugar. I tried powdered milk but it just wasn't doing it for me. Instead I have been using International Delight flavored creamers. I prefer half and half but these artificial creamers are pre-sweetened (no need to bring sugar) and keep a lot longer in the closet. They weigh in a 0.5 oz each.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: JetBoil Coffee Press on 10/06/2013 18:27:26 MDT Print View

The jet boil press also works with the jet boil lid with the snow peak 700 pot. And if you screw the bottom shaft tight to the strainer and leave the joint of the shaft loose you can press the coffee then unscrew the top shaft to get it out of the way while drinking leaving the rest of the assembally in the bottom of the pot

Shawn Bearden
(ShawnB) - F - MLife

Locale: SE Idaho
Via on 10/07/2013 16:12:25 MDT Print View

Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso or Starbucks Via and hot water

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
VIA iced coffee on 10/07/2013 18:41:44 MDT Print View

On a long distance hike when I want to cover ground I use the starbucks Via iced coffee or regular coffee and cold water. I just add it to my water bottle and drink it as I hike in the morning. When this isn't available I go without.

On short more relaxing outings I will heat the water or maybe even bring the Aeropress though I haven't in a long time.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
coffee on 10/07/2013 18:46:19 MDT Print View

Im not a coffee snob. I drink anything.

I wanted to like Starbucks Via, but honestly every one of them taste burnt, and dont dissolve very well. I dont even like starbucks coffee from starbucks.

I find Tasters Choice House Blend singles fine, cheap, and better than Via. Makes 6oz cup, which is all I want while I wait for dinner to soak.

And I dont care how they make it or what chemicals they use to do it. I dont drink enough of it to matter.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: coffee on 10/08/2013 14:45:22 MDT Print View

Reading this thread reminds me how how nice it is to be no longer attached to drinking coffee. I do sometimes bring tea, my fav for colder weather is a chai red/rooibos tea, which I make cold. The ginger in same gives a wee heat boost which when you don't bring a stove or cook kit, is nice in the morn. For warmer weather, its straight rooibos or mint tea.

David Brandenberg
(daveinflag) - F

Locale: High Desert
Press-Bot Revived on 03/05/2014 12:50:56 MST Print View

Press Bot

http://canyoncoffee.us/

This is my favorite backcountry press. Press-Bot has been revived. I just sat down with the owner of the company. nice guy with a nice product. They were out of production for years. Company is back under new ownership. They take a little learning on how to get it in and out of the bottle, but once you get it, you got it.

Edited by daveinflag on 03/05/2014 12:52:24 MST.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Press-Bot Revived on 03/05/2014 16:17:44 MST Print View

I saw this GSI Java Press Mug at our local gear shop a few days ago. Very will made with tight O-ring seal and micro fine screen filter. Kinda heavy though for a single purpose item at ~300g. Not keen on drinking coffee that would be on "continuous" brew during the time I'd be drinking it though.

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/commuter_java_press-_dark_roast/coffee

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
GSI coffee filter on 03/05/2014 20:03:10 MST Print View

If I'm not using the Folgers Singles, then I keep fiddling around with filtering cowboy coffee. About 11 grams for the GSI filter. Folds flat and fits in a pot.

Edited by Glenn64 on 03/20/2014 01:27:43 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
STARBUCKS VIA instant YEP! on 03/05/2014 20:08:15 MST Print View

I agree with Gordon Smith. Starbucks VIA and the flavored iterations are VERY tasty.

In the past I've ground my own coffee and spooned it into little tea bag sized cotton bags with drawstrings. It worked but it was a royal PITA to prepare. And then there was cleaning out the little bags in camp. Yet another PITA.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: STARBUCKS VIA instant YEP! on 03/05/2014 20:24:58 MST Print View

+1 on the Via. Annoyingly expensive, but so easy to live with. I have a half-dozen different coffee filter thingies, but you still have to deal with the grounds and cleanup. Via is digital coffee: immediate gratification :)

Another favorite drink is a "London Fog" made with Earl Gray tea, vanilla syrup and milk. I need to find a good dry milk substitute. That may help with instant coffee too. Chai tea is another favorite.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Cowboy coffee is good and easy on 03/05/2014 20:48:40 MST Print View

Grind fine and pour with the lid on. It'll strain itself. No need for bags, filters, presses, or expensive little instant packs.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: Cowboy coffee is good and easy on 03/05/2014 21:32:43 MST Print View

Then I'd have to carry a "real" lid, which would weigh more than the filter ;)

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
Organic Instant Coffee on 03/09/2014 17:32:37 MDT Print View

I consider myself a coffee [and microbrew] snob
i brew coffee 2x/day and have enjoyed roasting my own beans in the past.
For me Starbux Via tastes way burnt.
I have found only one instant coffee that pleases my buds, and luckily its very available at the nat food stores where i live. And further luck: its organic!

It is called Mount Hagen Organic Freeze Dried Instant Coffee, from Hamburg.

Because it's tasty, the convenience of freeze dried instant far outweighs the alternatives.
ew

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: GSI coffee filter on 03/10/2014 18:12:33 MDT Print View

I use the GSI filter holder also. I use it as a paper filter holder. It works very well. Nothing like a cup of fresh brewed coffee in the morning. :^)

Cameron M
(cameronm) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
Backcountry coffee on 10/28/2014 23:45:25 MDT Print View

Coffee snob here. Why spoil a great trip with lousy coffee? Just use a #4 unbleached paper filter in a normal snow peak cup. It stands just tall enough to not spill the beans over into the cup. No equipment required or desired. Let it dry. Can be reused the next day with the old grounds and the addition of some new grounds.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: backcountry coffee on 10/29/2014 00:21:12 MDT Print View

Coffee

Of course I don't take the whole jar. I'm not a coffee snob. Heck I even like instant oatmeal.