Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG - Reflectix Pot Cozy
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
reflectix lids wor on 09/13/2013 06:33:27 MDT Print View

I use reflectix for the lid on my Evernew 900ml pot using a gas stove so an esbit shouldn't worry it too much. I find that the reflectix shrinks slightly and then stabilises after the first couple of boils tending to go slightly conical.

Using reflectix as the lid should ever so marginally improve efficiency as the lid of a pot is one area that only radiates heat out rather than potentially conducting heat into the pot like the base and sides.

alex hansen
(holden425)
i will do a test boil today on 09/13/2013 08:54:19 MDT Print View

I will do a test boil to try it out today, assuming my son takes his morning nap like he is supposed to

alex hansen
(holden425)
test complete on 09/13/2013 19:45:09 MDT Print View

I tested the coozy lid over the stove and experienced some meltage with an esbit stove. Couple thoughts on the test though...
I wasnt able to set my wind screen up as intended. I used my stove top as a burn surface and the pot stand was the stove top on my gas range. As a result, the wind screen was too high around the pot base.
At the same time, the lid coozy covers more than half of the depth of the pot. And there was significant overlap between wind screen and lid. I think if they were farther from each other. Melting might not occur.

I will make a new lid and test next week.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Expansion on 09/14/2013 09:58:15 MDT Print View

It's often recommended you make the cozy a skootch oversize to accommodate the pot which will expand when heated. I made a loose-ish cozy for my grease pot (the infamous $7 aluminum pot @ K-mart) and it was pretty tight when I first used it. Seems to fit snugly now, but if I were to make it again, I'd add another mm or two to the circumference.