Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Unknown abc
(edude) - F
RE:"A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)" on 12/25/2008 18:46:16 MST Print View

I don't think this is a very effective personality test for backpacking. Your home, office and backapcking personality and viewpoints can totally differ and this test has office flavor.

This tread should be moved to Chaff...BPL Staff?

Regardless of what the personality test says, I think I came out as DORK.

Edited by edude on 12/25/2008 18:50:56 MST.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
RE:"A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)" on 12/25/2008 20:45:10 MST Print View

INTJ here.

tommy d
(vinovampire) - F
Re: RE:"A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)" on 12/25/2008 22:25:40 MST Print View

Evan - I think you're quite mistaken for several reasons, except perhaps the being a dork. The Jung-Myers-Briggs-type personality test that I posted is a test that has been used widely among all different sorts of groups and people. This may allow us to look at the differences between backpackers, UL backpackers, and non-backpackers. Creating and using a personality test just for backpackers would have less value to us, since it could only be used within that community and wouldn't be of any use telling us what sets UL and other backpackers apart. Since we know what the general %s are for various personality types in the general population and we have an idea of the general that there are biases among the web-based community, we may be able to pick apart what makes UL backpackers different.

Of course, this isn't scientific, since we're not using a probality-based method of sampling, but it's still an interesting exercise.

I know that some people are simply resistant to this type of measure. So I can understand if you're resistant to this thread. Still, it would be interesting to hear what your results were if you're willing to share.

best wishes,
vino vampire!

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
RE:"A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)" on 12/25/2008 23:16:41 MST Print View

I'll post my results tommorow, they might be differant because the first time I was in a hurry.

Sorry if I showed any hostility,

Evan

Edited by edude on 12/25/2008 23:17:36 MST.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
Personality Profile on 12/27/2008 12:45:15 MST Print View

I always score solid I's and J's. However, I can score out as an INTJ or ISFJ since I'm usually within 10% of going either way whenever I take this test. It all depends on my mood on any given day. Today I scored as an ISTJ, but I was a 1% on the S and 11% on the T.

But as a teacher in a behavior intervention setting, I need that balance of authority and ability to relate to and build rapport with my students to be successful.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
"A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)" on 12/28/2008 09:36:14 MST Print View

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
44 38 50 89

Seems to me that planning, organizing, and the "less social" part of the personality spectrum are a good match toward backpacking (in general) and lightweight backpacking specifically. (oops! there goes my judgmental side showing! =-))

Joseph Austin
(hnryclay) - F
Another INTJ on 12/28/2008 11:46:08 MST Print View

INTJ ... and I am in management, the description kinda fits, in a harsh way.

John L Collins
(WVCubDad) - MLife

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail
Hi, I'm John and I'm an ISTJ on 12/28/2008 18:10:05 MST Print View

Somehow fitting that my first post is in this thread, although I've been lurking around BPL for a while and getting fantastic information. Thank you all.

I've taken this or similar tests over the years and it doesn't change much each time I take it (that I can recall).

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Yet another INTJ on 12/29/2008 01:52:38 MST Print View

INTJ here; interesting to see Ryan Jordan the same. Perhaps this explains why I enjoy stopping by these forums so often; there are a lot of like-minded people here.

S. F.
(hoogte_ziekte) - F
. on 12/30/2008 11:17:44 MST Print View

Edited by hoogte_ziekte on 01/08/2011 19:24:28 MST.

Adam Kowis
(akowis)

Locale: Austin
Allow me to pile on on 12/30/2008 17:54:04 MST Print View

INTJ

Introverted: 78
Intuitive: 69
Thinking: 100
Judging: 67

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
me too! on 12/30/2008 18:27:45 MST Print View

i took the test a few days ago just once, and the results said I was to be a "natural sciences teacher at the high school level" degree from the U. of Phoenix, of all places :)

wanna know the weird part? thats exactly what my wife said about a week ago. :P

I N T J
33 62 75 11

"Isaac Newton, Niels Bohr, C. G. Jung, Michel de Montaigne, Michel Nostradamus, Ada Lovelace"

who the hell are they? lol

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 12/30/2008 18:37:00 MST.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah)

Locale: Smoky Mountains
INTP on 12/30/2008 18:53:03 MST Print View

I'm in operations management, and I'm the Einstein of the bunch... I can live with that.

I 52
N 62
T 75
P 11

Though, normally I score much higher on each of the four.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
I am NOT the norm on 12/30/2008 18:57:53 MST Print View

ENFJ

Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, Clara Barton (Founder of the American Red Cross), Ronald Reagan

That's me - wanting to save the world at any opportunity.

Considering I am clearly not the norm, I will be cancelling my membership and will be joining Backpacker.com.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/30/2008 18:59:31 MST.

M. Halley
(tinyscraftsyup)
hmmm on 12/30/2008 22:55:39 MST Print View

INFJ

Judging.. hmmm... but I'm so tolerant...

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
ENFP...Seem to be in the minority on 12/31/2008 04:33:00 MST Print View

ENFP
Extraverted.....33
Intuitive.......12
Feeling.........31
Perceiving......78

I think David and I will need to have our own little support group for the non-INTJ crowd.

Edited by dirk9827 on 12/31/2008 04:37:01 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Extroverted introvert. on 12/31/2008 04:50:44 MST Print View

I've tried this a few times now, and get different results each time! Sometimes i'm an Extrovert, and other times i'm an Introvert. Maybe i should start up a helpline! :)

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
I'm not buying it on 01/02/2009 18:25:18 MST Print View

I 75%
N 25%
F 25%
J 22%

And I'm apparently like Mother Teresa and Nicole Kidman only without the boobs. Though, what does Nicole Kidman have in common with Mother Teresa anyway? D@*# it! I'm an Engineer, not a social worker.

Edited by Miner on 01/03/2009 14:07:07 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: I'm not buying it on 01/02/2009 18:35:07 MST Print View

Question: "Though, what does Nicole Kidman have in common with Mother Teresa anyway?"
Answer: No boobs.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: INTP on 01/02/2009 18:37:16 MST Print View

"I'm the Einstein of the bunch... I can live with that."
No doubt, but can the others?