SOLID FUEL TABLETS QUESTIONS
Display Avatars Sort By:
JOSH MARTIN
(99heyho)
SOLID FUEL TABLETS QUESTIONS on 12/20/2008 23:22:57 MST Print View

Hello,

Am new to camping and backpacking. Been tryin to find the answers for some questions. Any answer is much appreciated.

1. Is solid fuel poisonous? I been told not to touch it with bare hands.

2. Can i roast marshmallow or sausages over solid fuel fire? Will it make my food smell like solid fuel or make it poisonous?

Thanks so muchh

Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
SOLID FUEL TABLETS QUESTIONS on 12/20/2008 23:29:47 MST Print View

There are several types of solid fuel tablets but to answer the questions, they wouldn't be healthy to ingest, nor are their flames "clean" burning enough to recommend using as direct flame cooking. The most commonly used backpacking ones often smell like soured seafood and can occasionally leave that smell on the cookpots.

Handling wise, they are probably far less toxic than a small splash of gasoline on your hands from filling the mower. Technically not good for you, but it's a miniscule amount with limited exposure.

My take on it is wash your hands or try to pop them out of their package without handling them at all is best but I won't worry if I have to handle them a bit as in solid form they aren't absorbed into the skin as easily.

Edited by slacklinejoe on 12/20/2008 23:30:19 MST.

JOSH MARTIN
(99heyho)
direct flame on 12/20/2008 23:34:09 MST Print View

Alright thanks..

Mine is just some square shaped white solid fuel tablets. Very similar to Esbit soild tabs.

But what do you think of cooking directly over the flames? Or roasting marshmallows?

Thnks once again!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: direct flame on 12/21/2008 03:06:51 MST Print View

> But what do you think of cooking directly over the flames? Or roasting marshmallows?

Potentially poisonous. Don't do it.

cheers

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
fun chemicals on 12/23/2008 12:27:01 MST Print View

Burning esbit tabs releases, among other things, formeldahyde and hydrogen cyanide. I wouldn't use it at all. Many people do (!?), but not for your marshmallows and sausages!