November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Forum suggestion - link prompt text
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 18:57:13 MST Print View

This is very easy to implement.

Location: on the pages that you can post from, or reply to a post

Change: Add text that says:

You may embed a link like this:
        < a href = " " >LINKY< / a >

*It would need to be regular text. Not with the extra spaces.

Effect: Even relative novice users will know how to embed a link. Computer-savvy users can copy-paste the text and edit for extra efficiency.

Placement: It would be yet more convenient if it is not necessary to scroll to see it.
Perhaps next to the "Insert Image at Cursor" button.

Even better, a button that adds the boilerplate for you: "Insert Link at Cursor" adds this text at the cursor (without the extra spaces used here so it will show):
< a href = "" >< /a >

Edited by Paul_Tree on 12/19/2008 19:07:37 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 19:27:22 MST Print View

I Second this proposal.

At least once a month I post or PM this info for some frustrated soul. It should be part of every Post Message screen.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 21:56:29 MST Print View

I was just thinking this same thing today as I typed in the tags. I made some silly mistake like leaving out a space in the first part and though how it would be nice to simply have a button. Another way is to have an 'insert link' button which pops up a text box. You can type in the link and hit enter and there ya go.

I think this would be a great improvement.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Ditto on 12/20/2008 08:21:34 MST Print View

I third the suggestion. We already have a button to add images.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Perfect is the Enemy of Good! on 12/25/2008 11:42:28 MST Print View

-- One of my favorite sayings.

It would be by far the best to have the popup box, I agree.

To be honest, I was afraid to ask because of the inevitable overhead, so dumbed-down my request to an "appropriate level" of technosavvy.

If that is any kind of a hassle or expense, just putting the text in there would be nearly instantaneous, fail-safe, and FREE!

Edited by Paul_Tree on 12/25/2008 11:44:22 MST.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Easy Forum Improvement - Low hanging fruit! on 12/31/2008 09:29:59 MST Print View

Bump for Happy Holidays.