Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Forum suggestion - link prompt text

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 18:57:13 MST Print View

This is very easy to implement.

Location: on the pages that you can post from, or reply to a post

Change: Add text that says:

You may embed a link like this:
        < a href = " http://neat.link.com " >LINKY< / a >

*It would need to be regular text. Not with the extra spaces.

Effect: Even relative novice users will know how to embed a link. Computer-savvy users can copy-paste the text and edit for extra efficiency.

Placement: It would be yet more convenient if it is not necessary to scroll to see it.
Perhaps next to the "Insert Image at Cursor" button.

Enhancement:
Even better, a button that adds the boilerplate for you: "Insert Link at Cursor" adds this text at the cursor (without the extra spaces used here so it will show):
< a href = "" >< /a >

Thanks!

Edited by Paul_Tree on 12/19/2008 19:07:37 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 19:27:22 MST Print View

I Second this proposal.

At least once a month I post or PM this info for some frustrated soul. It should be part of every Post Message screen.

Thanks.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Easy Forum suggestion - link prompt text on 12/19/2008 21:56:29 MST Print View

I was just thinking this same thing today as I typed in the tags. I made some silly mistake like leaving out a space in the first part and though how it would be nice to simply have a button. Another way is to have an 'insert link' button which pops up a text box. You can type in the link and hit enter and there ya go.

I think this would be a great improvement.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Ditto on 12/20/2008 08:21:34 MST Print View

I third the suggestion. We already have a button to add images.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Perfect is the Enemy of Good! on 12/25/2008 11:42:28 MST Print View

-- One of my favorite sayings.

It would be by far the best to have the popup box, I agree.

To be honest, I was afraid to ask because of the inevitable overhead, so dumbed-down my request to an "appropriate level" of technosavvy.

If that is any kind of a hassle or expense, just putting the text in there would be nearly instantaneous, fail-safe, and FREE!

Edited by Paul_Tree on 12/25/2008 11:44:22 MST.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Easy Forum Improvement - Low hanging fruit! on 12/31/2008 09:29:59 MST Print View

Bump for Happy Holidays.