Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
transferring down
Display Avatars Sort By:
paul buzzard
(troop208) - F
transferring down on 12/18/2008 07:22:55 MST Print View

Have a down bag that needs some refilling in the hood area. Have an old down parka that is the down donor. How do I transfer the down from one to the other effectively, without making a mess. Also, I am just planning on making a small slit in the hood section on my bag to fill and resew the hole. Is this the best way, just carefully cut and sew? Any tips would be appreciated.

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
transferring down" on 12/18/2008 10:00:38 MST Print View

you need a small space with no draughts and no fabrics that feathers will stick to. If you do not have such a space in your house can you erect your tent inside? Clean the space you decide on carefully and fully before you start so you can pick up escaped down and it will still be clean. Have a vacuum cleaner ready to pick up down before you open the little space.
When you do it you must move very slowly as even with no air movement fast movement will move feathers about.
I assume you will unpick a seam of your hood for a generous hand/fist width. Static is your enemy, example: dont store down in plastic bags paper bags are better

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: transferring down on 12/18/2008 10:10:20 MST Print View

"How do I transfer the down from one to the other effectively, without making a mess"

tape a small piece of nylon mesh or panty hose (or a sock) over the end of your vaccuum cleaner hose. suck up wads of down from the parka - usually this will be a small handfull, good for shoving into that hole.

of course if you have a workable seam, use it. (instead of cutting holes)
mike

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Down on 12/18/2008 10:18:09 MST Print View

Does the vacuum damage the down? And are you talking about netting on the end of the wand, or the hose, where the wand fills?

Frank Deland
(rambler)

Locale: On the AT in VA
down transfer on 12/19/2008 17:41:34 MST Print View

I have moved down by hand several times. The best spot is in a small bathroom. I cover my hands with climbers chalk, so the down does not stick. Sure a few feathers float around, but just pick them up. You should not need that much for a collar. Got an old pillow? Just do it. It is not difficult.