Forum Index » Chaff » Good book regarding public lands?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig Burton
(MissingUtah) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Good book regarding public lands? on 12/16/2008 18:19:14 MST Print View

Can anyone recommend a good non-fiction, non-story book about public lands in America?

I've read "From Conquest to Conservation," and it was a good book; but it was slightly repetitive and delved a bit too much in to politics than I cared for (it was written by high-level USFS and BLM administrators, so I should have expected as much). Originally when I bought the book I was more interested in high desert watersheds, such as the Colorado Plateau; but the book turned out to be more about forestry -- which I am grateful for after reading the book.

Now, I am looking for something similar that has a good mix of avoiding politics and high-level science; but just focuses on the pros and cons of the controversies regarding our public lands. Specifically, I am looking for something that focuses on the entire American Rockies Range and also the surrounding high deserts. Specific interests also include watershed management and damming, invasive species, rangeland management, clearcutting and other timber harvesting, and the impact of recreation on public lands.

Certainly someone here as read something that fits the bill. Any suggestions? Preferably modern books.