Forum Index » GEAR » Hands-On Pack Evaluation???

Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Hands-On Pack Evaluation??? on 11/29/2005 10:55:28 MST Print View

I am currently trying to evaluate which pack will suit my needs best as I move down from a 4+ pound (eeek) Gregory to something significantly lighter. While I generally feel comfortable buying equipment and even clothes over the internet, I just don't think I can evaluate all that makes a pack work for me by comparing in cyberspace. But what are my options? Is there a place I can go in the San Fran bay area where I can try on Gossamer Gear side by side with Golite and some of the other manufacturers?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Hands-On Pack Evaluation??? on 11/29/2005 11:48:50 MST Print View

You might try the dealer locators on their web sites.

http://www.golite.com/dealers/dealerfinder.asp

http://www.productweb.com/wtb/m1/granitegear/globalFinder.cfm

http://www.gregorypacks.com/dealer.html

Triangulate :)

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Suppose you're right on 11/29/2005 15:33:04 MST Print View

Oh well...I tried that in the past. It's ok if you are willing to: 1. Search and travel 2. Not know if they will have all models or sizes in stock 3. Spend the time. The above reasons have proven to be negative enough to outweigh the benefit in the past. If there was one specialty store though...that might make the difference. Even if it meant traveling more than 100 miles...

David Wiesenfeld
(davidwiesenfeld) - F
Re: Hands-on Pack Evaluation on 11/29/2005 16:14:46 MST Print View

Well, ProLiteGEAR says they have a retail shop in Bozeman, MT and they carry Golite and Gossamer Gear. Though with the price of plane tickets and gas these days, you might be better off just BUYING all of the packs you were planning on looking at.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
pack evaluation on 11/29/2005 17:14:35 MST Print View

well you just might need to breakdown and purchase the packs online. I live in San Jose and have the same dilema as you. Try ULA. Brian is a fair person when it comes to returns. Same goes for Gossamer Gear with Glen. Both are very reasonable. Granite Gear should not be that hard to find. Try Sunrise Mountaineering or closer to you, Marmot in Berkeley. I do know that Down Works in Santa Cruz sell Granite Gear too.

Robert Ebel
(poop) - F

Locale: Earth Orbit
Re: pack evaluation on 11/30/2005 15:34:06 MST Print View

Do other companies demo packs like McHale Packs? That's how I got mine. Works very well.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: pack evaluation on 11/30/2005 23:29:29 MST Print View

I would suggest stopping by Ken's home. He's got all sorts of packs including GG, ULA, etc. :-)

Alas, there is no one in the area carrying Gossamer Gear. Your only choice is to order a pack. Luckly GG has a good return policy. I have suggested to Nick at Downworks in Santa Cruz about carrying some GG items, but he wasn't sure at the time that it would make sense. If you stop in there, indicate your interest. If three people walk in singing the same song it might be a movement.

The two best places I have found in the bay area to try on light weight packs is the Berkeley REI and Downworks in Santa Cruz.