Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » A simple tent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nall Fnk
(nfink) - F
A simple tent on 12/14/2008 20:45:35 MST Print View

I plan to basically live out of my backpack in the Yukon for four months next summer. Consequently, I am adding a few luxuries, which includes a comfortable, durable tent that protects me from mosquitoes, wind, and rain.
I have an untested theory that I would like to try. Basically, I'd make something in the shape of an ID silshelter, but only use silnylon for the portion of the roof that is actually above me. I would use 1.1oz DWR ripstop about 30" up the walls, and on the two "snouts" of the shelter. Theoretically, this would provide a spacious, wind resistant shelter that seals out the bugs (I'd leave some material as a sod flap), but has less problems with condensation.
Are there any problems I am overlooking here? It seems like something that somebody would have tried by now. I am aware that a mist will come through the DWR in a rainstorm, but I don't think it would reach me and the small area of my ground sheet, and will provide extra space to store some gear out of the actual downpour.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: A simple tent on 12/15/2008 06:58:00 MST Print View

Have you actually slept in a siilshelter? It's not that wide to replace 30" per side with unproofed ripstop in my opinion. I've found keeping the ends open reduces condensation quite well. I suppose you could add bug curtains. The condensation from your breath will condense at the highest point in the tent generally, and will then run down and soak into the ripstop. You'd end up carrying water weight you can't shake off if you didn't manage to dry the tent before packing.

I've changed tents. If you want my silshelter PM me. I have a matching bugshelter too.