Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Snowpeak 900 Ti handle removal
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Snowpeak 900 Ti handle removal on 12/14/2008 11:26:16 MST Print View

I know folk on here have removed the handles from their 900 pot. Is it feasible to remove the handle bracket that is fixed to the pot?
I work in an engineering machine shop, so have access to any tools i need. I'm worried that the spot welds may come away from the pot, leaving holes in the pot. I have never worked with thin Titanium, so am unsure of the outcome, if i buff the bracket off.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Snowpeak 900 Ti handle removal on 12/14/2008 13:27:20 MST Print View

Mike,
Somewhere in the last month this has been shown on this site.

I searched a bit but could not find the thread. I think a Dremmel was used for the initial rough work and then it was hand filed. As I recall, it just took a little time and care.

Elizabeth Camp
(scamp_80) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Re: Snowpeak 900 Handle removal on 12/14/2008 15:48:47 MST Print View

Take a look @ this thread.....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3393/index.html?skip_to_post=24858#24858

I hope it works out

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Snowpeak 900 Handle removal on 12/14/2008 22:27:22 MST Print View

The job I did doesn't look as clean as that thread, but it worked OK. I used a Dremel Tool with a cutting wheel. Then I used a flat file and smoothed it up.BrassLite Handle removal damage

Edited by redleader on 12/14/2008 22:28:11 MST.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Snowpeak 900 Handle removal on 12/15/2008 10:04:00 MST Print View

oops. posted to the wrong thread.

Edited by redleader on 12/15/2008 10:05:55 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Snowpeak 900 thanks on 12/15/2008 11:38:42 MST Print View

Thanks folks.
As long as i'm careful, the spot-welds shouldn't be a problem.

Matthew Roberts
(matthewjamesroberts) - F

Locale: San Fernando Valley
Removing Handle from Titan Kettle on 03/20/2009 21:10:53 MDT Print View

I removed my Titan Kettle Handle.

This was done to fit inside a modified Caldera Cone stove design I had been working on. The stove design eliminated the hole in the caldera cone, adding to fuel efficiency. The design also would allow me to burn wood without melting my silicone ring handle. This means less fuel weight as I would not have to pack extra fuel. In the event I run out, I could use firewood.

This stove design later switched to a Heine keg and a remote fueled system. So in the end, I didn't end up using the fit my modified Titan Kettle provided.

The finish turned out perfectly smooth. Perfect for my holeless Caldera Cone stove design. Not much in terms of weight savings. I did however convince myself to buy a Dremel mid project, and by the time I was done I had a new toy *cough* tool.

Total Damage : Handles weighted 13 grams, the titanium plate holding the handles weighted 3 grams. Total titanium removed, 16 grams.

SO FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE THAT WANT TO REMOVE YOUR HANDLE, EITHER FOR FIT INTO A CALDERA CONE OR FOR YOU GRAM-COUNTERS ...here's the steps involved in removing a handle.

Step 1: Protect yo Pot!
Using gorilla tape I layered 3-5 strips of tape to protect the Titan Kettle's thin titanium wall from myself. Later on in the process we will be ripping the handle off my leveraging the handle against the titanium pot wall using needle nose pliers.
protect yo pot

Step 2: Grind spot welds
Easiest way I found to remove the handle, is to grind the spot welds through with an Emery wheel on a Dremel or Rotozip. Don't grind too far, you'll start removing titanium from the actual pot.
grind yo spots

Step 3: Brute Muscle
Once you have the spot welds ground down, use a pair of needle nose pliers to force the remaining handle off. The left over nobs from the spot welds can be individually ground down once the handle is removed.
Using pliers, break the remaining handle free from the weakened spot welds.tear off handle

Step 4: Using your Emery disc on your roto zip/dremel, grind the spot weld stubs down. For a smooth finish, switch out your dremel bit to sand paper, and then the polishing wheel.
***Running the Emery disc takes a delicate hand, so as to not grind too far into your titanium pot.

Edited by matthewjamesroberts on 03/21/2009 17:04:50 MDT.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
3 little grams? on 03/20/2009 21:22:52 MDT Print View

For real? That's a lot of work for .1 oz. That's less than a sip of water from your water bottle. I can see if you needed to modify it to fit in something, but for weight, it seems silly to me.

Matthew Roberts

Gram-weenies on 03/20/2009 22:08:41 MDT Print View

Yeah Dan:

Believe it or not, there are those people out there that would go through all this work just to save the 16 grams!!!

*wispering*
And probably, some of them are on this forum.

Edited by matthewjamesroberts on 03/21/2009 16:38:12 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: 3 little grams? on 03/20/2009 22:13:22 MDT Print View

It's not just the weight (and I don't see the already removed handles) the pot now has a uniform diameter, which allows a more efficient "cone". I have removed all handles, and brackets, and have installed Ti spoke bails. Now I have saved the weight of a pot lifter too.

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
Snowpeak makes 'em without handles on 03/21/2009 19:12:28 MDT Print View

Though they are double-walled. Better, IMHO, but a little heavier.

http://www.snowpeak.com/lux/kitchen/mugs/stacking.html

I like my snowpeak trek 700, I'm keeping the handle, it keeps me from burning my hand. The lid too, very useful.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Snowpeak makes 'em without handles on 03/21/2009 19:51:40 MDT Print View

Don't go cooking in a double wall...

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Snowpeak makes 'em without handles on 03/21/2009 19:56:27 MDT Print View

Yep, people do crazy things to save weight. hehe.. ;)

Though they are double-walled. Better, IMHO, but a little heavier.

Heavy can never be better. :)

Plus, you can't boil water or cook in DW mugs. Well, I guess you physically CAN, but I wouldn't want to be there.

Edited by Steve_Evans on 03/21/2009 19:57:03 MDT.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Re: Snowpeak makes 'em without handles on 03/21/2009 20:01:06 MDT Print View

If it wouldn't be so costly I'd love to see wgat it would do. Anybody know of a DW to flame vid? Dent or worse?

Matthew Roberts

interested on 03/21/2009 20:33:51 MDT Print View

Now I'm interested.

What happens when you cook on a double wall?

LET'S SEE A VIDEO PEOPLE!!!

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

really? on 03/21/2009 21:44:03 MDT Print View

I never heard cooking in a DW is dangerous- I'm assuming the dead space is air, not water.

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

? on 03/21/2009 21:46:12 MDT Print View

I brew beer in a DW SS kettle. I cook pasta in a DW cast-iron-enameled pot. Is titanium too brittle?

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: really? on 03/21/2009 21:52:48 MDT Print View

"Double-wall construction is not suitable for cooking; do not place on an open flame or hot burner."

Statement on REI.com in regards to the SP 450 DW mug.

Have you ever heard of someone cooking on a DW?

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: ? on 03/21/2009 21:55:48 MDT Print View

Well I would guarantee that Ti thickness is DRASTICALLY different than your DW SS kettle.

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

whoops! on 03/21/2009 22:03:46 MDT Print View

Glad you guys brought it up! I never noticed a warning. I looked real hard at the DW mugs on SP's site, but decided on the SW Trek 700; bought it from backcountry.com. I've been thinking of getting a DW, but if I can't cook on it, it's no use to me. I guess that's why the DW's are in SP's "Luxury Camping" area.