Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 10:02:49 MST Print View

OK, does inflating your BAIAC by mouth REALLY compromise the insulation? I'm not really concerned about moisture in the pad for summer trips, but winter trips is another story. Do I need to invest in the Pumphouse pump?

A corollary question is: How do you store your pad? Do you keep it inflated or store it in its sack? How does the moisture inside ever evaporate?

I think I recall reading in the instructions that the pad should be stored extended, not rolled up.

Patrick Browning
(optimator) - F
BA on 12/12/2008 10:09:45 MST Print View

I just lay mine out uninflated under the bed along with the thermarests. As far as moisture inside the pad. I've never really worried about it. I figure if it was a problem we'd have heard about it by now.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 12:00:50 MST Print View

RE: storage and moisture: same as Patrick for me.

I leave the valve open when in storage - don't know if it helps, but I feel better about it :)

Todd

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 12:14:52 MST Print View

Same here, layed flat under the bed, valve open.
Mine is the P.O.E. Max Thermo but same difference,
Synthetic insulation laminated to the inside top surface.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Re: Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 12:22:54 MST Print View

Do you guys inflate by mouth?

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 12:28:01 MST Print View

I inflate by mouth. The advantage of synthetic.

Although I must admit that DownMats are warmer
while also more expensive and heavier.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/12/2008 12:33:44 MST Print View

Yes, inflate by mouth.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BA on 12/12/2008 13:01:31 MST Print View

I inflate my Max Thermo by mouth. I've done so for 3 years. If that's bad for it, I haven't seen it. And if something happens, I'll buy a new one. I have no desire to carry a pump.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Moisture concerns on 12/12/2008 13:35:29 MST Print View

So my moisture concerns are unnecessary? Moisture won't compromise the PrimaLoft insulation in the wintertime? I am really worried about conductive heat loss through my pad. (I'll be taking a GG Thinlight just in case).

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
BA on 12/12/2008 13:51:54 MST Print View

It may compromise it. All I'm saying is I don't think it does enough for me to worry about it. YMMV.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Re: Moisture concerns on 12/12/2008 13:51:58 MST Print View

David,

As you know, every sleeping pad has it's limits and just as all "winters" are not created equal, nor are sleeping pads.

I have always looked at "air mattress" type pads as providing lots of comfort and a little insulation. I carry them for that comfort. There are better choices if weight-to-warmth ratio is ones only goal.

Winter in the southeastern US isn't winter in New Hampshire and that isn't winter in the Canadian Klondike! So, I supplement my air mattress with CCF pads as needed for the expected conditions.

Don Montierth
(Chumango) - F

Locale: East TN
Winter Supplement on 12/13/2008 19:56:23 MST Print View

Michael is right - the BA Insulated Air Core and the Insulmat Max Thermo (I have both) are comfortable, but do not offer enough insulation for me below 30-40 degrees F. Any colder, and I use a supplementary closed cell pad. I sleep cold, so your mileage may vary.

I just inflate them by mouth, and leave them in their stuff sacks (after drying them out if they got wet).

Edited by Chumango on 12/13/2008 19:57:28 MST.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/13/2008 20:12:07 MST Print View

I bought a BA Pumphouse Pad Pump when it came out last year. Unfortunately it is not nearly as all-purpose as BA claims. It is a failure as pillow--goes flat within an hour. It's a failure as a dry bag for even brief immersion--the water goes right through the fabric. However, it is great as a pump. Unfortunately I didn't test the dry bag and pillow configurations before taking it out on a trip, so I still have it. But it's not worth packing just as a pump.

I do use it at home, however. After a trip, I find some dry, warm air (if it's a cold damp day, I do this next to the heating duct or an electric heater) and pump it into the pad. I let it sit for 10 minutes, squeeze out the air, and pump in more warm dry air. Same procedure. The third time, I pump it about 1/4 or less. Instead of letting the mattress sit flat under my bed, I let it sit about 1/4 or less full of air with the valve closed.

The hope is that this will dry out any moisture that's in there from my blowing it up by mouth. I have no idea if this really works, though. At least it means that the Pumphouse isn't completely wasted.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Big Agnes Air Core - proper inflation and storage? on 12/14/2008 10:15:36 MST Print View

"Unfortunately I didn't test the dry bag and pillow configurations before taking it out on a trip, so I still have it."

Perhaps return it anyway. Either the company needs feedback on an inferior product, or yours is damaged/defective.

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Winter Supplement on 12/15/2008 18:55:16 MST Print View

As evidence to YMMV I winter camp with the big agnes IACP on snow and ice, down to fly camping in 0, never been cold