Forum Index » GEAR » MLD DuoMid Pics (yellow)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
DuoMid Peak Tieout on 12/10/2008 12:47:41 MST Print View

Chad-

It does have a tieout on the peak.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: MDL DuoMid Pics on 12/10/2008 12:48:30 MST Print View

Chad, yes, it has a hang loop. I typically camp in wooded areas so this is a bonus for me. No pole to get in the way.

Regarding my pitch. I was just browsing the MLD site and it looks as though I may have pulled and pegged the corners too tight before inserting the pole. I'll have to try it out again, but this is what I suspect gave me the uneven clearance I mentioned previously.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: Re: MDL DuoMid Pics on 12/10/2008 13:27:28 MST Print View

Steve,

That's a GREAT looking shelter. It's making me very envious

>Regarding my pitch. I was just browsing the MLD site and it looks as though I may have pulled and pegged the corners too tight before inserting the pole. I'll have to try it out again, but this is what I suspect gave me the uneven clearance I mentioned previously.

It also looks in your last pic like you may have the pole leaning slightly to the left (back) This will tend to make the pitch at the back pretty sloppy.

It's worth having a play when you have time to be objective and time to make adjustments before you get out on the snow in the dark. Dont forget to trial pitching on a slope, since this will also affect pole angle and peg placement

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/10/2008 13:43:42 MST Print View

That's good that the MLD DuoMid has a center tie out loop. I'm a big guy with 24" wide shoulders and a 12" deep chest. Add five inches of down around me and I would never be able to use the DuoMid with the center pole.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/10/2008 14:02:54 MST Print View

I'm figuring to offset the base of the pole a foot or so and then lay on the diagonal . This will give even more space for me while still leaving a bunch of room for the gear in the two unused corners.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/10/2008 14:05:54 MST Print View

I tested out the space in mine the way John is describing. You'll get max space for one laying this way using the slanted pole or the hang loop.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah) - M

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Re: Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/10/2008 14:44:23 MST Print View

If the hang loop is infeasible, don't forget you can also create an inverted V if you happen to have two long, sturdy sticks lying around camp (or one very long stick that can be cut in to two long sticks).

Nice to hear about the tie loop though. I don't recall reading about that in the description on the site. Can't wait to get mine.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/23/2008 16:24:57 MST Print View

This shelter really is a nice size. I got the hang of the pitch, it was operator error on my part :)
Just to give you an idea of it's size...dug down about a foot. Easily fit my long winter bag on downmat 7 in the back behind the hiking pole support.

dugout

mid with stove

Jay in corner

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/23/2008 16:29:52 MST Print View

Re: "This shelter really is a nice size. I got the hang of the pitch, it was operator error on my part :)"

What was the "operator" error?

JRS

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/23/2008 16:45:19 MST Print View

I "believe" that I had pitched the bottom 4 corners too tight - meaning that after I put one corner into the ground, I pulled too hard when placing the next corner, etc. This caused the peak to pitch very low, and also caused the 4 ridgelines to pitch with a catenary like shape which meant less height towards the sides (see pics from post on page 1 of this thread).
However, there was also the lack of experience and practice that surely added to it's original issues! :)
Now, I pitch the 4 corners with just little tension, add the center pole and then tension the lines...pitches MUCH nicer.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
MLD Duomid Pics (spectralite) on 12/23/2008 16:47:28 MST Print View

Steve,
Great looking pictures.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Re: MLD Duomid Pics (spectralite) on 12/23/2008 16:55:27 MST Print View

Steve... Looking at your photos I don't know if it makes the wait for another three weeks easier or not. Lookin good.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Re: MDL DuoiMid Pics on 12/23/2008 16:55:37 MST Print View

Thanks for the pitching info. Looks great!

JRS

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
What Stove is that in your shelter? on 12/23/2008 16:59:29 MST Print View

Steven,

That is crazy in that you have a stove inside the tent to keep you warm!

What is it, how heavy is it, and how do you use it without having it melt a hole into the ground?

-Tony

tkkn c
(tkknc) - MLife

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest
MLD DuoMid Pics on 12/23/2008 17:04:55 MST Print View

The Stove looks like a Tigoat stove. The specs can be found at
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Ti-goat on 12/23/2008 17:26:40 MST Print View

Now if you could only install a little chimney boot on the Duomid... sweet little setup!

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Re: MLD Duomid Pics (spectralite) on 12/23/2008 18:14:35 MST Print View

John, be patient. I ordered mine the day it went on sale and received it 5 weeks later. Very little sleep that month ;) And just to get you excited, it is a beautiful work of art, and sooooo easy to pitch! Nice and big for one person.

We did get a little snow last night, and I could hear it slide off the walls as it built up. The walls are steep enough that you won't get any build up, except at the bottom of course. Condensation is typical for a single wall shelter in the winter - don't expect any miracles.
I do wish there was a dual zippered entry so i could vent the top while having the bottom portion closed. My Golite Utopia 2+ was built like that and is the only shelter I have used where condensation wasn't an issue in the winter.

Tony, the link Ken gave is correct. My little stove is the Ti-Goat Cylinder Stove with 3.5' Titanium Pipe. Total weight is 18.25oz. Even with the stove, my base weight is under 16lbs...how could I leave it at home? :) Actually, this was my first trip with it - I bought it about a month ago but had to wait for a shelter (I sold all mine to buy the cuben duomid) and the right weather. It's for when I base camp, or maybe on some overnighters where weight isn't an issue. The little guy roars when you get it going. The body and pipe turn bright red hot!

Chad, I have the stove boot (Kevlar - I think) from Ti-goat but I can't bring myself to sewing it into this cuben beauty. I'm going to try to modify it so it can attach to the zippered opening. We were talking about it last night at camp. Maybe even just clipping (think big paperclips) it to each side of the opening. I'll post pictures if I get around to doing it.

JT Croteau
(Tobit) - F

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains
Love the DuoMid on 01/18/2009 14:46:58 MST Print View

Thanks for the pics Chris and Steve. I've fallen in love with this pyramid and will be ordering a Cuben version in a couple weeks. I was initially considering an Oware AlphaMid but this just looks so much nicer. Quoddy, have you received yours yet?

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Re: Love the DuoMid on 01/18/2009 15:19:08 MST Print View

JT... It hasn't arrived yet and I haven't checked lately to see when. Timewise, it has been 6 seeks now, but I have another item being worked on by Ron and he may be combining the orders.

JT Croteau
(Tobit) - F

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains
Re: Love the DuoMid on 01/22/2009 06:40:46 MST Print View

Can anyone speculate how these might do in the summer time? I'm guessing one would definitely have to pitch it higher off the ground. I'm strongly considering one in yellow Sil Nylon for winter use and a cuben for 3-season use.