Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Vest?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zak Randell
(zakrandell) - F
Vest? on 11/27/2005 04:52:45 MST Print View

I'm considering a vest to replace a full fledged jacket for above freezing hiking. What would people reccomend? I know the Puffball Jacket is supposed to be the best but I think the vest may be made of a different material.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
vest on 11/27/2005 08:17:07 MST Print View

Both Western Mountaineering or Montbell make vests that are quite lightweight and warm

Zak Randell
(zakrandell) - F
Puffball? on 11/28/2005 06:15:13 MST Print View

But what about the Puffball? Whats it made out of?

John Chan
(ouroboros)
Montbell UL thermawrap on 11/28/2005 07:24:45 MST Print View

I like my Montbell UL thermawrap vest. Its 5 oz in M and good for core insulation if you're on the move. For stationary applications I wouldn't use a vest... I'd be looking for a down sweater.

gdinero senior
(gmoney) - F
Why a vest? on 11/28/2005 11:03:29 MST Print View

I recently did a hike in temps ranging from 22 to 35. I found that I was relatively comfortable while layering a S/S t-shirt, a L/S t-shirt, and the Marmott DriClime wind shirt. I had with me the Patagonia Micropuff vest, but was too warm hiking with it on top of my first three layers.

I don't like the weight of the DriClime (14 oz's!), but it is incredibly versatile and functional.

Zak Randell
(zakrandell) - F
I'll tell you why on 11/28/2005 12:31:52 MST Print View

I figure I can save at least a few ounces over my heavier fleece that I use for winter. I'm planning a hike of the relativley new Lycian Way trail this coming March and temps should never go below freezing but I may need extra insulation some days in high elevations and for security at nights. I doubt I'll be wearing the vest more than 10 times for the entire hike. A full on jacket is a) more expensive (flights to Turkey aren't cheap) b) heavier for how little I will use it.