Forum Index » Chaff » Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/08/2008 08:41:33 MST Print View

My wife is getting impatient about getting my Christmas present and last night asked me if I still wanted a 180Gb PS3. I just went ummm... ummm... ummm. How do I tell her I'd rather have yet another piece of gear... an MLD Cuben fiber DuoMid?

Edited by Quoddy on 12/08/2008 08:42:43 MST.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/08/2008 08:42:31 MST Print View

5 little words....

"Honey, I want a cuben duomid"

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Christmas on 12/08/2008 09:07:59 MST Print View

John - Chris,
Buy the MLD spectralite Duomid for your wife and hope she will let you use it. Or, better yet, just buy it for yourself, wrap it up in a gift box and on the card write "from: all your friends at BPL". Just remember to act surprised when you open it.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/08/2008 11:04:30 MST Print View

I got my cuben duomid on Saturday :) ...I had to tell my girlfriend that I traded a different tent for it. If she found out what I paid, she probably break up with me.

You have to treat your addiction like any other...a secret. ;)

Still waiting for my 40 Below overboots though...everything else arrived before Christmas this year!

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Re: Re: Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/08/2008 14:09:05 MST Print View

Steve...

Ordered it, but since it won't be here until mid January I don't know if it will "fly" as a Christmas present. Oh well, it will probably come in an envelope that won't possibly look like gear anyway. Can you say, "OCD".

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/08/2008 17:19:05 MST Print View

Lol! I just told him what I wanted. And already was given it - a Double Rainbow :-D

H also bought me another set of diamond earrings :-) Yay!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Else with a Christmas Quandry? on 12/15/2008 18:02:08 MST Print View

A Christmas quandary?

Is it like days of auld lang syne or
here we come a-wassailing or
decking the halls with bought of holly or
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy, O tidings of comfort and joy?

What and where are these things? Who makes these things up?

PS
I buy what I want and then tell my wife what she got me. Every year she tells me that she will do the same, and tells me not to buy her anything else. After 32 years, I've learned to spot a trap, and always buy something anyway. She says 'I told you not to get me anything! You shouldn't have - etc, etc - but then she seems real happy. I think this gets me one more year. Ya know - women are more confusing than Christmas words. Quandrification is rampant!

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
My quandry on 12/15/2008 18:25:08 MST Print View

My GF and I have a few running deals, mostly revolving around my shelters (five at last count - three tents, one solo tarp and a poncho tarp).

She gets a new appliance or a second kitten, I get a shelter. I get a shelter, she gets an appliance. Or a second kitten. I want a MLD Duomid.

As for Christmas, she had a conundrum last Christmas. If I need something gear-related, I research it and go get it. I was specifically instructed a few times NOT to go buy something.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Christmas Quandry? on 12/15/2008 22:38:58 MST Print View

Not since BPL got Firelite SUL pots back in stock.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Christmas on 12/16/2008 07:01:16 MST Print View

Trying to decide on a one-person shelter. Or if it's even worth the little bit of weight savings over a 2-person. But it's not really a quandry, since I've been selling gear like a wild man to pay for it. Now trying to find something short of a car that my teenage daughter will like......that is a quandry.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Christmas on 12/16/2008 12:16:46 MST Print View

Joe,
How about a TT Sublite? 18.5 ounces, bug proof, breathable. Would it suit your needs (wants)?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Quandry on 12/16/2008 13:39:13 MST Print View

It's tempting. Tyvek would certainly work well in my part of the world.