MYOG Air-Mat to Chair
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
MYOG Air-Mat to Chair on 12/07/2008 23:47:26 MST Print View

So I was wondering if anyone had ever used their pack to make a chair out of an inflatable mattress....since the shoulder straps are similar to the side-guy-lines and the hipbelt is similar to the strap across the middle of the chair, it seems like it would be easy enough.

I tried, with little success tonight, to use my North Face Recon and a Big Agnes aircore pad. Lots of slipping and not much support, though it would work against a rock or tree well enough. What do you folks do to enjoy sitting around camp? Anyone else perfected this idea?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: MYOG Air-Mat to Chair on 12/08/2008 01:10:37 MST Print View

I think this is a great idea. You would just need a couple of sticks and a sleeve sewn into the pack to hold the pad snug.

Edited by tallbloke on 12/08/2008 08:22:53 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: MYOG Air-Mat to Chair on 12/08/2008 08:29:11 MST Print View

The side rails are the magic.

They have to be 'captive' within a sleeve. The ends of the sleeves have to be solidly secured to keep the rail from scooting out under the load from the straps.

A framed pack somewhat lends itself to this. Otherwise you need to provide the support in another way.

And as Big Agnes found out, the material at the hinge point has to be bomber. Lots of force there to grind it into rocks and dirt quickly shreds lesser materials.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
Use what's around on 12/08/2008 11:00:38 MST Print View

"What do you folks do to enjoy sitting around camp? "

Conveniently placed rocks and a Gossamer Gear Torso Length Nightlight pad work great. Using a 2 section one pads the seat, using a whole 3 section one can pad the seat and provide wrap up the back for extra insulation.

The key is placing the rocks correctly. Lean a large flat one against a downed log or a tree, then lay one flat on the ground in front of the other. Presto, a rock "throne".

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Sitting around camp on 12/08/2008 17:26:06 MST Print View

Sling Light! Pure, Dry, No butt on the ground comfort.
The SlingLight eight
Smiling Sling Light owners on the PCT north of Forestdale Divide.

Bob Ellenberg
(BobTheBuilder) - F
Pack Chair on 12/10/2008 21:42:04 MST Print View

I rigged these up in the past using my pack, poles and straps. It was uncomfortable because the shoulder straps pulled in too much against my shoulders. I have some new ideas on how to use the poles perpendicular to hold the diagonal straps out away from me. If it is successfuly I'll make a post.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Pack Chair on 12/10/2008 21:45:02 MST Print View

How about some photos? We'd like to see what you're up tp.