Torso sized sleeping pads
Display Avatars Sort By:
Unknown abc
(edude) - F
Torso sized sleeping pads on 12/06/2008 15:23:01 MST Print View

What exactly are the dimensions of a torso sized pad? I recently cut out a 2'2' section of a 10$ closed cell foam pad from walmart and am thinking about using it next summer in conjunction with my pack and natural insulating stuff (leaves,pine needles,etc.) under my ground cloth.Will this work?

thanks to those who give me feedback.

Edited by edude on 12/07/2008 19:23:32 MST.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Torso sized sleeping pads on 12/06/2008 16:00:02 MST Print View

Not exact dimensions, but.....

From the top of your shoulders to just below your butt. Some taper it closer to the waist.

Pillow above shoulders and pack or pine needles, etc below, as you mentioned.

I never have liked the torso pad, personally. But others swear by them.

Let us know how it works!

Adam Kowis
(akowis)

Locale: Austin
Re: Torso sized sleeping pads on 12/06/2008 17:24:52 MST Print View

Just like Todd said. You want enough to pad your shoulders and the bones in your hips.

I lie down as I would sleeping and someone marks where my hips end. Then I cut an inch past that.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Torso sized sleeping pads" Success!!! on 02/08/2009 20:39:01 MST Print View

Last month I took a torso-sized sleeping pad with me on the annual Old Missions District Klondike Derby to use as a sit pad and to boost the warmth of my full-length pad. It worked wonderfully! I would use it at rest stops and so I didn't have to sit in the snow and to keep my butt from freezing.
When I used it the first night, I was amazed at how much comfort and warmth it added to my sleep system! I was able to wake up back-pain free (I have back issues that send me to the chiropractor often) because my back was slightly elevated above the rest of by body. Oh yeah...that was a good nights sleep during 20F temps...oh yeah...makin' me sleepy just thinkin' bout' it...

Thanks, guys!

Edited by edude on 02/08/2009 20:48:07 MST.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Torso sized sleeping pads on 02/09/2009 17:41:32 MST Print View

Evan, You can start by taking a standard 72" pad and cutting it in half making 2, 36" long pads. The width is probably fine at 20", but if you want to taper it make the top 18" and the base 14". Unless you are on the tall side this will give you a pad that is "torso" sized.

Jamie