Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt on 12/06/2008 14:13:08 MST Print View

I recently sold my FF 30F Syn quilt, and am in the market for a new bag/quilt.

I really don't go out in the winter here in Eastern PA, so it'll definitely be for 3-season use. I already have a 50F summer bag, so I need something colder.

Looking at what's been on sale lately, I am trying to choose between:

JRB No Sniveler
GoLite Ultra 20
WM HighLite 35
BA Horse Thief 35

What is the reasonable estimated range of the JRB No Sniv?

Any input from experience? I know there are some of you out there who have gone through a few of these.

Thanks.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Golite on 12/06/2008 15:09:12 MST Print View

I was comfortable in my Ultra 20 last night @ 24 degrees, with a normal base layer and socks. I really needed a heavier hat was the only problem.

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
Quilts on 12/06/2008 15:45:33 MST Print View

I've used my no sniveller down into the 20s with no problem. I really like how I can wear it around camp with the head hole. I ordered the long size so I can pull it up over my head when the temperature drops below freezing.

Charles Maguire
(hikelite) - F

Locale: Virginia
Re: Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt on 12/06/2008 19:50:22 MST Print View

The Highlite rating I believe is accurate but it only has half a zip and if temps warm up you can overheat quickly. Without a full zip you can't use it as a quilt - my only problem with it.

Chuck

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

No Sniv on 12/06/2008 22:26:36 MST Print View

Phil,

What else did you have on with the No Sniv into the 20s? Just a base layer, like Joe and the GoLite?

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
bags and quilts on 12/06/2008 22:28:55 MST Print View

Hello Joe G.
i have used the hudson river, a no sniveller minus the hole. the two Jacks are the only commercial enterprise who make one single piece of gear that can be used for:
a closed foot, top quilt on the ground or in a hammock
a hammock underquilt
a flat blanket
a serape/poncho
the versatility of the No Sniveller cannot be beaten.
however, unless you plan on using it for temps from 30-60° you might find it a bit "too" versatile.
I used a Highlite and found the small zipper to be of little use in temps about 45° and above. I sold it in favor of the JrB quilt.
I found that the JrB quilt although a very nice piece of gear, has a width of 48" and that makes for a BIG footbox. It was imho a bit too big for my feet and all that dead space = wasted energy to heat it. Sold it in favor of a DIY quilt.
I would narrow a search for good prices between the Summerlite and the Ultra 20. If all you want is a quilt for ground sleeping and you want the weight savings, the Ultra 20 is terrific.
If you ever plan on using the No Sniveller in humid, warm camps or as a hammock underquilt, it is the BOMB
It would be easier to narrow a specific model for you if we were told exactly what conditions you expect to endure :) mike
* i used the Hudson River quilt down to 30 without any cold spots, wearing only hiking pants and t-shirt. only sold it in favor of a momentum and down quilt project that turned out well.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 12/06/2008 22:33:03 MST.

Timothy Haley
(trhaley) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
ultra 20 on 12/07/2008 01:08:44 MST Print View

I just got an ultra 20 for winter camping in the PNW. have only tested it in the back yard so far, but I was a little too warm with my cocoon parka when temp was around freezing. I'm eager to really put it to the test but it seems like a great quilt for a good price.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Sale to end on 12/07/2008 07:13:11 MST Print View

FWIW, currently the No Sniveller is $ 70 off.... This sale ends noon tomorrow.

Pan

Phil Brown
(pbrown19)

Locale: Traverse City MI
Re: No Sniv on 12/07/2008 07:40:07 MST Print View

Thermal bottoms and an R1 hoody. I was also using a bivy over the quilt. Of course, some people are warmer sleepers than others, so YMMV.

Guy Laden
(GL) - MLife
No Sniveller on 12/07/2008 10:08:14 MST Print View

Make sure its girth will work for you at the shoulders. When I'm on my side I sometimes wish there was more material for tucking under me. One option here is to consider the Jrb 'quilt wings'. I believe the Ultra is wider.

Edited by GL on 12/07/2008 10:11:21 MST.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt on 12/07/2008 18:16:31 MST Print View

As far as the Golite Ultra 20...I had it down to exactly 20 degrees at 5500 feet with significant wind. I was sleeping inside a MLD bivy under a ID silponcho tarp. As far as clothing goes, I was wearing baselayer with a light fleece cap and my montbell UL down inner. Ground insulation was light, 3/8" GG thinlight trimmed to 38" long (3.4 oz).

I slept fine and I tend to get cold. I think if the temp dropped much more I would need a few more extra garments to stay warm. I'd say that is pretty good for 18.65 oz (i dropped the under straps) and <$200 on sale.

Jamie

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Update on 12/08/2008 08:52:14 MST Print View

I went with the JRB No Sniv. Thanks for all the input.