Forum Index » GEAR » aquamira

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Aquamira Treatment Time - Tablets vs.Liquids on 12/05/2008 16:23:43 MST Print View

Liquid drops will treat AT LEAST 5 times more water for the money, can easily be dosed according to water quality, temperature, and container size, and don't have me running to the store every time I'm going out- 3 oz. of Aqua Mira will keep you from having to go shopping for many, many trips. If there's one thing I can't stand (and have learned to avoid), it's making shopping lists/placing orders/or ending up wandering the isles of REI before a trip.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Aquamira Treatment Time - Tablets vs.Liquids on 12/05/2008 16:35:54 MST Print View

Craig:

The dosage and timing directions on your AM liquids are only for treating bacteria. For the much harder-to-kill protozoa cysts, you need the higher chlorine dioxide concentration of AM tablets!

Per phone conversation with AM rep -- you can use the liquid to emulate the solid in treating protozoa -- by upping the dosage fourfold! Now, if protozoa is an issue for you and you increase the number of AM drops four times -- then liquids are actually more expensive!

You can probably get away with using the standard AM droplets by quadrupling treatment time -- but now you are talking up to 16 hours per treatment -- which is pretty impractical. IMHO, even the tablets' max. 4 hour treatment time borders on the impractical.

Edited by ben2world on 12/05/2008 16:39:11 MST.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Aqua-Mira vs Tabs? on 12/05/2008 17:00:35 MST Print View

Ben - maybe I'm thinking of a different tablet. The chlorine tablets I've used are for treating water over night.

Are you describing IODINE tablets? (I've used these a lot, and find them very simple).

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
When NOT to treat at all! on 12/05/2008 17:07:42 MST Print View

For everybody reading this thread, I suggest reading this excellent BPL article!

Sipping the Waters: Techniques for Selecting Untreated Backcountry Water for Drinking

by Michael von Gortler, MD

Drinking untreated backcountry water can make you sick - but choosing your drinking spots intelligently can greatly reduce that risk. Here, a doctor shares the methods that have kept him healthily "sipping the waters" for the past 20 years.

LINK:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sipping_water_drinking_untreated_backcountry_water.html

I worry we are overly and unnecessarily cautious with our backcountry water, replacing gadgets, chemicals and worry with common sense (and good practices).

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Aqua-Mira vs Tabs? on 12/05/2008 17:15:19 MST Print View

I was referring to chlorine dioxide tablets -- such as Aquamira and Micropur brands. Chlorine or iodine tabs are ineffective against protozoa cysts.

Edited by ben2world on 12/05/2008 17:18:15 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
aquamira on 12/05/2008 17:51:37 MST Print View

Read Ryan Jordan's 2006 article "Backcountry Water Quality Techniques, Trends, and Paranoia".

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backcountry_water_quality_technologies_trends_paranoia.html

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Aqua-Mira vs Tabs? on 12/05/2008 18:41:08 MST Print View

Ben,

As I use a gravity filter, I currently carry AM in liquid form for backup, in case I manage to crack the casing of my filter.

AM in liquid form as a shelf life of a few years.

Do you know if the tablets have a shelf life?

I might want to switch to tablets, as I don't expect to ever use them. The simplicity of their use is appealing as a back up and probably lighter than the two BPL dropper bottles I carry at 1 oz total weight.

-Tony

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Aqua-Mira Tabs on 12/05/2008 18:54:09 MST Print View

Tony:

If I recall correctly, they have a shelf life of 5 years (maybe more).

Is your gravity filter good enough to filter out the larger baddies -- protozoa cysts (giardia, crypto, etc.)? If so, then that means your chemicals should only need to take care of the smaller stuff -- which are easier to kill -- like bacteria and viruses. If that's the case, then when you run out of the Aquamira stuff -- just fill the drop bottle with bleach -- which costs next to nothing (like 99 cents for a whole quart). 4-6 droplets of bleach per quart or liter of water will kill bacteria and viruses.

Edited by ben2world on 12/05/2008 18:57:39 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Aqua-Mira Tabs on 12/05/2008 19:38:12 MST Print View

Ben,

I don't need any chemicals at all with the Sawyer Filter.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/biological.htm

0.10 Micron

Here is the blurp from their website:

Biological Filtration: removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed competitive options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more Protozoa left in the water than we allow.

Interestingly, the link above now shows that they have their own gravity filter system.

No weights are listed, but it looks heavy.

Sawyer makes a larger filter that also removes viruses.

Thanks for the shelf life info on the tablets...think that it is longer than the shelf life of the AM that I have in my gear closet.

I'll get some as back up.

There are only two ways that I know of that would cause my filter to fail...I take a fall and crack the filter casing or if I opened up the filter and poked around the insides and damaged the tubes inside. (I'd have to be stupid to do that).

As usual, you are a wealth of information...thanks.

-Tony

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Aqua-Mira Tabs on 12/05/2008 20:19:31 MST Print View

Oops, I forgot you use the Sawyer purifier!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Aqua-Mira Tabs on 12/05/2008 21:05:32 MST Print View

I've used AquaMira on pristine alpine water. I've used it on murky, algae filled water in Los Angeles canyons. Warm water and cold water. Highly questionable sources and sources that would surely needed no treatment.
I've under dosed.
I've overdosed.
I've waited too long and too little.

I'm alive and well!

Caution is good, but in many cases I believe we've become a bit too paranoid about our water.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Re: Aqua-Mira Tabs on 12/06/2008 03:13:48 MST Print View

Ben,

Actually, I don't use the purifier....just their standard filter for biological stuff, which covers everything except viruses.

-Tony