Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Music and Backpacking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
My Take on 12/05/2008 09:40:10 MST Print View

When I run, I use the iPod Shuffle. I just got an iPhone, so I'll probably use that for trips. However, replenishing the batteries can prove difficult, as it requires a wall plug.

I have always been interested in the HighGear TrailAudio as a substitute on the trips, as it is small and takes AAA batteries - I can pack extra in case.

I just bought these speakers (4oz) for an upcoming vacation. I'll have to report back on their performance. They also charge via USB, like the iPhone, so I'm covered there.

Edited by joegeib on 12/05/2008 18:05:32 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: My Take on 12/05/2008 20:54:42 MST Print View

Those are pretty sweet. Like the size and how the pack together. I just might get these for my laptop

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Music and Backpacking on 12/05/2008 21:39:06 MST Print View

These speakers work great, not to loud but perfect background music in camp. The MiMini speakers come in at 1.1oz with one AAA battery. They work PC050488great with a Ipod-Nano.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Music and Backpacking on 12/05/2008 21:40:30 MST Print View

Pretty similar to mine. And I can vouch for Jay's speakers they do a good job!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Music and Backpacking on 12/05/2008 21:49:43 MST Print View

Hey Ken if you get a chance can you PM your Cell# I would like to talk to you just before Pt. Reyes-Thanks!!!

What about some Nip Drivers, Marginal Man and the Comp. Not so quite on the Western Front. Can you burn a CD.

Edited by Creachen on 12/05/2008 21:54:38 MST.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Music and Backpacking on 12/06/2008 06:23:22 MST Print View

Looks like Jay has me trumped in terms of weight and rechargability (AAA battery). However, I chose mine to be able to give me great sound on vacations and whatnot. They're also powerful enough to run as speakers for your computer. If interested, you can probably find them a little cheaper on Amazon.

When shopping around, I also found these.

Edited by joegeib on 12/06/2008 06:25:00 MST.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
"meadow blasters" on 12/06/2008 09:25:27 MST Print View

I prefer if others use headphones.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: "meadow blasters" on 12/06/2008 10:22:41 MST Print View

Jay, PM sent

Paul, when playing music in the outdoors (if any I chose to do so, which is not too often), the volume is sooo low that nobody else can hear. I know that we head to the backcountry for solitude and to enjoy nature, but sometimes it is nice to have that small luxury while doing things you love. With the advent of mp3 players bringing along a collection of your own tunes to listen to sometimes can be quite nice. I never camp near anyone that can see or hear me, unless it is unavoidable, and if that is the case, I tend to be as accomodating to others, or even more so then some. And yes, this comes from experience in having seen some of the most stupid idiots in the Sierra's where they have no clue that others might be around. I have also had to endure othes with bongo drums, acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments in places like Ventana, Point Reyes where I have recieved impromtu concerts by many a half wit. Just my 2 cents.

Please understand this post is not attacking you but I am just stating why and when I might pull out some music for myself. Generally I don't travel with an mp3 player or a radio, I just it would be an interesting thread.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: "meadow blasters" on 12/06/2008 10:35:23 MST Print View

Brings back memories of approaching Galehead hut in the White Mtns to the sound of the Spinners coming from the hut crew's portable tape player (No mp3 players in 1980). It was more amusing than intrusive.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: "meadow blasters" on 12/06/2008 11:13:07 MST Print View

Mine is just as amusing.

After a long day hiking my friends and I come upon our destination late in the afternoon at Buck Lake in Emmigrant Wilderness, California. We can hear bluegrass and country blaring away in the canyon. We thought outloud how strange is this. Well down the trail we come across these two drunken yahoos with a few cases of beer, a huge car camping tent for 5-10, a Coleman stove for car camping, a big boom box blasting Waylon Jennings. By that time, and two intersting characters, sitting in lounge chairs drinking there beer and having a good ole time. We stop to chat (just for a minute) and it turns out that a packer brought them in for a week of fishing. They were about to get a another beer drop in a day or so as we were told. They were having the times of their lives. Though they were quite noisy

Edited by kennyhel77 on 12/06/2008 11:13:57 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Re: "meadow blasters" on 12/07/2008 15:52:44 MST Print View

I wouldn't want to hear someone elses music, but where I hike, you'd be hard pressed to hear someone else from their campsite based on the distance between them, so I wouldn't notice if someone else was playing music. However, I'm not a music and camping guy. For me, they don't mix, but that's just me. Maybe because my days are filled with computers, technology, and manufacturing...so I like to bring it 'cave-man style' when I go out hiking. Yep, just like a cave-man...with my cuben shelter, titanium hardware, and state of the art stove - cavemen had those things right?

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
lightest mp3 players on 12/09/2008 21:02:59 MST Print View

I carry an iPod Shuffle for trips up to 3 days- at 1.0 oz with headphones and an integrated clip, it's supersano- and the battery lasts about 12 hours. This is the 2 gb model- that's a lot of music!

The Creative Muvo n200 weighs just 1.5 oz with headphones and a lithium AAA battery- great for longer trips! Mine is 1GB.

Is there anything lighter out there?

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Music and backpacking on 12/09/2008 21:44:57 MST Print View

Hey Steven, I like the Caveman method and respect it but I think the Cavemen got so board that eventually they invented the drum. Animals skins and large gourds= Tribal Beats!!

Doug, Check out GoFastandLight.com They have some very good lightweight music gear.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
light symphony on 12/09/2008 22:25:45 MST Print View

Doug, I almost bought the ipod shuffle simply because it is so danged light!
4G model weighs .55 oz with lithium battery. holds 500 songs and can be had for as low as $25 on some sites.

Mina Loomis
(elmvine) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
music on the trail on 12/10/2008 16:55:46 MST Print View

edited

Edited by elmvine on 12/10/2008 16:58:22 MST.

Mina Loomis
(elmvine) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
Music on the trail on 12/10/2008 17:04:59 MST Print View

Robbie, uke, Lost MaplesMy younger son, then 14, now 17, and his ukulele, on the trail at Lost Maples State Natural Area, Texas. For group trips we have a no-electronics-on-the-trail rule, but we can still have music. When kids were little, we could sing, but teenagers won't do that.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Music and backpacking on 12/13/2008 17:51:49 MST Print View

"I think the Cavemen got so board that eventually they invented the drum. Animals skins and large gourds= Tribal Beats!!"

LOL!
Sigh, you are probably right...I'm no caveman. :)

Matthew Robinson
(mcjhrobinson) - F

Locale: Waaay West
music and backpacking on 12/14/2008 00:45:42 MST Print View

learn to play the harmonica, lightweight, packable, hard to break. no tuning.

i got a sansa 1gb i have no clue how much it weighs but its weight to potential energy ratio is tops

Roman Ryder
(RomanLA) - F

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
Ipod and Harmonica on 12/15/2008 04:53:08 MST Print View

I've started bringing my shuffle. I normally just use it at night, but it was nice when I had to cover the same couple miles again on a FT lollipop a couple weeks back. I dug my harmonica out the other day. I'm going to start bringing it along and see if I can't get any better. lol

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Music is a must on 12/18/2008 12:06:53 MST Print View

I am an incurable music junky.

I use a Sandisk of some kind. It has 1GB internal and an SD slot which takes up to 2GB cards. So with one card I have 3GB. And SD cards weigh .05 OZ on my scale. The player uses 1xAAA and weighs 1.3 OZ. It also has a good FM radio. I like this setup because it uses AAA batteries which I can replace in the field. It has a monochrome small LCD and is very power efficient.

Sometimes I hike in these speakers made with NXT drivers. They are flat panel speakers about the size of a double CD case. They unfold and put out a lot of decent sound. They are extremely power efficient but are very heavy at 8.8 OZ.

Otherwise I use a pair of Sure EC2 in-ear headphones which sound great (weight ?).

Campfire+Whisky+Music makes me a very happy boy.