Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bug shelter for 2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
Bug shelter for 2 on 12/04/2008 17:50:34 MST Print View

I've tried a number of different bug defenses, and now that there are two of us hiking, that complicates things a bit. But I believe bug shelters are one area where an ounce or two more weight can equate to vastly greater functionality. With a couple, you want something that will more than just cover your heads. Also, if it's large enough, you can use it during hiking breaks. If it's complex to set up, like a ray-way net-tent, you're not going to use it for anything but sleeping. I also have come to prefer separation of function, i.e. keeping the netting separate from the groundsheet, so that the total range of functionality is greater.

Here is my product: a two man pyramid-shaped net tent that only requires a branch to hang it on. On the insides of the corners there is a patch of thicker nylon (can't see it on pics) where rocks or shoes (most likely) can be put to stretch out the sleeping space. Because of the size and design, it can easily be used for rest stops. The top uses a line lock, making for easy tying. There are also 6 tie-out loops around the perimeter of the tent.

Height is 4', length just under 9', width in front under 6', and in back just under 5'. Tip of pyramid is 3' back from front. 7 yards of thru-hiker noseeum used. Weight: 7.5 oz.

Front view (books used to show shape - normally netting would be better stretched out)From above

Soon to be tested in Peru in the rainy season.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Bug shelter for 2 on 12/04/2008 19:08:56 MST Print View

Looks good. Nice work.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Bug shelter for 2 on 12/05/2008 00:30:13 MST Print View

Great work and so simple, need to work out how much noseeum I need for a similar design to use in a Shangri La 3