Looking for good winter weekend backpacking gear lists for Sierra Nevada
Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Looking for good winter weekend backpacking gear lists for Sierra Nevada on 12/03/2008 21:42:59 MST Print View

Hi all,

Back to BPL after a busy move to the W Coast from the E Coast, and now the Sierra is my playground : ) I'm looking for some good winter gear lists for weekend winter backpacking, but not mountaineering/alpinism at this point.

Any suggestions, gear lists, links much appreciated!

Klas Eklof
(klaseklof) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Sierra Winter Gearlist on 12/08/2008 22:34:12 MST Print View

Just updated my profile page to include my winter gearlist.
Pray for snow...

- k

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/profile.html?u=klaseklof

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
Winter Gear List on 12/18/2008 12:27:58 MST Print View

Klaus, Your winter gear list seems really well put together. I have one question. Do soft shells work that well for you that you eliminated hard shells from your list? I find the worst Sierra conditions are the miserable sleet times with the storm temps around freezing. Everything I wear gets soaked. A waterproof/breathable seems OK because at least it breaks the wind and drys faster than a soaked soft shell. The softshells work great when it is colder. Maybe the windproof/fleece that the recent BPL articles describe would work? And I would carry a warmer sleeping bag, but to each his own.
Thanks, Scott
Scott

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Snow claw on 12/18/2008 20:51:18 MST Print View

Did you know Voile makes a real shovel that is 16 ounces?
LINK

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
thank you, very helpful, happy holidays on 12/28/2008 21:27:40 MST Print View

Hi Klas,

I just saw this post now as I forgot to watch it. Very helpful. Thank you very much for sharing it. This is exactly what we'd like to build towards - backcountry ski touring. I've got until a late January trip to complete our winter backpacking list. We're very good for clothing but need to work on sleep systems and shelter. I'll review your list and post one showing what we have, and what we still need to scrounge to solicit feedback on those items.

Happy holidays and best wishes for a healthy, happy, peaceful and successful new year,

EJ