Forum Index » GEAR » SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Firelite pots and bushbuddy on 12/05/2008 07:33:37 MST Print View

Thanks for the pictures! that is why BPL is so great!

Decisions, decisions. May be I need a 1100 and a 900. I am sure I can talk myself into anything.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Re: Bushbuddy and firelite pots on 12/05/2008 08:13:53 MST Print View

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the pictures! They are great and really helpful. It looks like the bushbuddy fits great in the 900. Is your bushbuddy pushed against the side of the pot in that picture showing the lid and 1mm clearance? I ask because it sure does look tight compared to how my bushbuddy fits in my snowpeak 900.

So just to be clear, your take is that the bushbuddy fits tighter in the snowpeak 900 than it does in the BPL Ti 900?

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bushbuddy and firelite pots on 12/05/2008 09:01:51 MST Print View

Hi Andrew,
My bushbuddy fits pretty good in the snowpeak 900, probably a 1-2 mm clearance all around. It does not really rattle around, but there is some space. When I was using that pot I generally had the bushbuddy in a small plastic bag and inserted that inside the pot, and it was a nice snug fit. This was really unecessary, and I don't do it anymore.

The firelite pots are just slightly larger, maybe a couple of mm. The bushbuddy fits good inside, but it's not a snug fit.

How much clearance is there between your bushbuddy and the walls of your SP900? Sounds like a lot.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bushbuddy and firelite pots on 12/07/2008 14:38:25 MST Print View

Hmmm...when I just checked there was only a small gap between the stove and the pot. I guess it doesn't really rattle too much, but I can definitely hear some metal clanging when I shake it gently. I thought it was a lot more, but now that I've looked I guess it isn't that much. I guess I just expected that the firelite pots to fit the bushbuddy perfectly! The space on the snowpeak isn't an issue though. I guess I was over exaggerating :-)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/07/2008 19:53:09 MST Print View

Here are my FireLite 550, 900, and 1100 pots with Ti Spoke bail handles. They weigh 3 grams each or less, are removable, and work great.

FireLite Titanium post with Ti Spoke bails

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 09:14:16 MST Print View

Wow...those look really great. Can you give specifics about the process of installing them?

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 10:57:08 MST Print View

Denis, your little ones are beautiful. I'd keep that picture in your wallet. :)
We expect delivery soon aswell, probably within the week. We're nervous, but ready for it.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 11:21:17 MST Print View

To install Ti spoke bail:

Mark spot for punching holes. Be sure to allow for clearance for depth of pot lid.
Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.
Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.

Punch holes (I use a 3/32" hole punch from Harbor Freight Tools). Holes should be as close to exactly opposite each other as possible.

Start bending spoke from "bead" end and curve to match diameter of pot lid. Begin curve about 1/4" to 3/8" from "bead". This allows for lid clearance.
Begin curve 1/.4" to 3/8" from bead
Begin curve 1/4" to 38" from bead.

When you have a 180 degree bend, insert spoke bail into punched hole to check curve. Adjust bend as required.

With spoke bail in place, position bail along pot rim and mark location of hole for bending the "hook" end.

Grip spoke with pliers and bend spoke end toward center of curve, slightly more than 90 degrees.

Place lid on pot and mount bail on pot to check fit. Adjust fit as required. The bail should just clear lid.
Bil should just clear lid
Bail should just clear lid.

Clip off excess spoke and file end smooth.
Clip off excess spoke and file smooth
Clip off excess spoke and file smooth.
Bead end of spoke
Bead end of spoke.

You're done.

Edited by redleader on 12/08/2008 13:41:03 MST.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 11:31:28 MST Print View

Steve,
They've got their bails installed (they'er weened) and are ready to boil.

I should be passing out cigars.

Edited by redleader on 12/08/2008 11:34:24 MST.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Re: Re: Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 11:38:25 MST Print View

Ha..I'm trying to get a bun in the oven, but so far I'm falling short of what it takes by a bit. :-( Anyone wanna be a donor?

Thanks for the description Denis. I appreciate it!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 13:44:05 MST Print View

Andrew,

I was roaming on my Blackberry and couldn't post photos. Take another look at my edited post.

Denis

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Pot lifters for firelite pots on 12/08/2008 13:49:10 MST Print View

Steve,
We've christened ours: Manny, Moe, and Jack.

Kathleen Whalen-Burns
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Titanium spokes for bails on 12/09/2008 12:34:29 MST Print View

Denis - where did you get your titanium bike spokes? I called our local popular bike repair place, and he said they are no longer cool (something about too much flexibility), so no one sells them anymore except maybe online.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Titanium spokes for bails on 12/09/2008 12:47:27 MST Print View

Kathleen,

Ask your bike repair place for DT Revolution spokes (Stainless), they weigh about the same as titanium spokes (Which are thicker).

I made some bails almost identical to Denis' but I use plain 15/16 gage titanium spokes because I had them laying around from wheel builds. My bails weigh 3.9 grams (compared to 3 grams for Denis' bails). So even standard spokes are very light. A bail made from a DT revolution spoke will probably weigh just over 3 grams.

Cheers

Kathleen Whalen-Burns
(rosierabbit) - M

DT Revolution spokes on 12/09/2008 12:51:40 MST Print View

Thanks! I will give them a try.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Titanium spokes for bails on 12/09/2008 17:22:37 MST Print View

Kathleen,
I got mine from a "racers" bike shop in San Anselmo, Marin County. Marin is the only place where the really expensive stuff is usually stocked. I only got 10 of them and have used all but 2. They were used and I paid a buck a piece. I just went through the box and picked the straightest ones. If Ti spokes have fallen from "cool" I'd better get back down there and pick up a few more. I only got the Ti spokes because they were Ti, and matched the pot material. Since I backpack now and then in Marin (Point Reyes) I have to worry some about the fashion police. They might frown on Titanium pots accessorized with stainless steel bails.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
measuring levels on 12/09/2008 20:07:24 MST Print View

Denis, Are those concentric circles inside your pot measuring/volume levels? How'd you do that?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: measuring levels on 12/09/2008 20:21:46 MST Print View

Tim,
I posted a thread, with photos, on the MYOG forum: "Marking your Ti pot." It's on page 4. I don't know how to insert a link but I copied the address here. Hope it works.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16329

Kathleen Whalen-Burns
(rosierabbit) - M

Stainless Steel Spokes on 12/09/2008 21:39:39 MST Print View

It worked! I bought 2 15-gauge spokes from the bike shop (99 cents each) - one for a practice life and one for the real thing. I was surprised I even had a 3/32 punch in my tool bucket. I need to crimp the hooks tighter, but I'll work on that tomorrow. The pot with the spoke doesn't register any heavier than without it on my scale. Goodbye pot grabber forever!

Spoke bail

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: measuring levels on 12/10/2008 06:16:15 MST Print View

Good eye Tim - I forgot Denis had done that. I'm definitely performing that upgrade as soon as my little ones arrive. Denis, that was a great idea.