Locale: Montana
Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge on 12/02/2008 22:39:53 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
RE: "Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge" on 12/03/2008 22:32:16 MST Print View

I really liked this article. A realistic understanding of changes I have gone through; and with some new information thrown in. I really feel for the friend because I hurt my knee a few years back and it is just now getting better.

I love to see more of these articles.

Judi Henson
(ritzhenson) - F

Locale: The Deep South
Great! on 12/04/2008 12:59:38 MST Print View

I love reading these articles as well, i'm just beggining the trail to U.L. and every little bit of real experiance, mine or someone elese's, helps a great deal! KEEP IT UP.

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
RE:"Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge" on 12/04/2008 15:45:13 MST Print View

Nice work. Great read...

Ryan Corder
(demo) - MLife

Locale: Arkansan in Seattle
Dr. Bronners... on 12/04/2008 16:40:45 MST Print View

Great article and great report! Curious though, which "flavor" of Dr. Bronners did the author try? If peppermint isn't your thing, give the Tea Tree a try.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
.... on 12/04/2008 20:09:59 MST Print View

Looks like a cool trip, I'll have to get in there next summer.

But.. 3 (three!) t-shirts!! Are you worried that you'll smell!?

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Metamorphosis 3: Walking the Edge on 12/12/2008 23:14:11 MST Print View

"I know you guys aren't impressed. However, thirty-five-ish pounds as a total weight was about to make a universe of difference."

Compared to the traditional weights you came from, 35 pounds should have felt heavenly! Comfort is different for everyone, but I found that I noticed major improvements everytime I dropped even a little total pack weight... from 45 down to 40, down to 35, down to 25, etc... until I got below 20 pounds total pack weight. Below 20 pounds it all feels about the same to me - that is that it really doesn't noticably affect my stamina.

I've had similar experiences to you when hiking with "un-enlighted" companions. It usually only takes one trip to get them looking into lightweight methods! And usually I feel guilty and end up carrying some of their stuff in the meantime.

I really enjoyed my own metamorphosis process, and it has been fun reading about yours - thanks for sharing.

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 12/12/2008 23:15:45 MST.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
pack on 12/14/2008 23:38:18 MST Print View

Is that a Golite Infinity pack?

Nathan Boddy
(nnboddy) - MLife

Locale: Hamilton
Thanks for the comments! on 01/26/2009 19:59:28 MST Print View

I really appreciate the comments on this article! I had a great time getting down to that base weight, and have enjoyed going further.

The Dr. Bronner's was peppermint and I look forward to trying another. Heck, even the peppermint is tolerable with a good rinsing.

Yes, the Golite in an infinity pinnacle.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: Thanks for the comments! on 02/03/2009 10:59:44 MST Print View

"The Dr. Bronner's was peppermint and I look forward to trying another. Heck, even the peppermint is tolerable with a good rinsing."

There is more than 1 flavor now? WOW, talk about showing my age. I have been using that stuff camping for 35 some odd years and never bothered to look at anything that was not in the familiar blue labeled bottled.

Blink...blink...blink...wow!

BTW...I loved the story, sorry to read about the weather.

Edited by malndman on 02/03/2009 11:00:18 MST.

Matthew Brewer
(smalladventures) - F
Baking soda! on 06/03/2010 23:12:09 MDT Print View

Yeah, when I started back packing I tried using Dr. Branuers.... ew. It took a few months for me to smell it without wincing. Baking soda on the other hand works well and doesn't taste as bad. Tooth powder can also be bought at co-ops/health food stores and lasts forever. I switch between baking soda and tooth powder even at home.