Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Down Booties
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Down Booties on 12/02/2008 20:19:01 MST Print View

My wife has agreed to make me some down booties since I can't seem to find a pair that meet my needs. Does anyone have any recommendations for what material to use? I was thinking pertex for the uppers and some kind of packcloth for the sole area but I am not a gearhead and know nothing about this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Also how much down should I use and where should I buy quality down?

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
ooohh aaahh on 12/02/2008 20:26:56 MST Print View

i was thinking of doing a pair in 1.1 ripstop, since it seems like such a small amount of fabric that why spend $$ on momentum or something like it.
there is a product called "Plasti-dip" which is a liquid rubberized glue used to coat tool handles. If you find the smallest can, pour it into a pan or basin and then step into it a couple of times after drying each dip, you may be on your way to a lifelong outersole. Other than that, you could use paint-on truck bed liner.

now that we've found a place that sells down by the ounce, were in bidnuss

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Down Booties on 12/04/2008 14:37:20 MST Print View

Jesse-
You say that you can't seem to find down booties that fit your needs. That'd be a good place to start with what materials you want. What is it specifically about available down booties that doesn't work for you? Not high enough cut, don't like the sole, weight...?

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: Re: Down Booties on 12/04/2008 15:59:42 MST Print View

Well I want something like the sierra designs down socks but they don't make those anymore and everything else I see available seems to have an overbuilt sole and just too heavy for me to justify carrying them. I figured I could make them with lighter materials but I am not sure what to use or even where to buy it other than thru-hiker.com.

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
Ideas for DIY Down Booties on 12/08/2008 16:31:30 MST Print View

I made a pair of Overbooties that I like a lot. They are shell mukluks that go up to below my knee. They are made with a light coated nylon with a cordura sole. I put a layer of ensolite foam in the sole. What I like about these is that they go over my camp booties and keep everything dry. I can take off the overbooties and wear my dry booties inside my bag. I snow camp in the Sierras and my booties would always be wet or the sole would have ice compressed on to it. The height is good for when you break through the snow crust up to your knees when moving around at night. I used my existing booties as a loose pattern. Be careful not to put the toggle for the top drawstring up in front of your knee. It hurts a lot to knee on a hard lump with your knee! I made synthetic booties that attach to the overbooties with velcro, but that is not really necessary. Make it possible to replace the foam insole. The foam compresses surprisingly fast leading to cold feet.
Scott

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
A shame really on 12/08/2008 17:12:14 MST Print View

I'd like to see the Sierra Designs down sleepies made again. I got a pair & love them, but can't find a pair to buy for my cold sleeping friend anywhere.

I just hope I never wear mine out.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Down Booties on 12/09/2008 17:33:08 MST Print View

Jesse-
Thru-hiker would be a good source of quality materials and one-stop shopping. If you're just looking for something to wear in the sleeping bag, and want something really light, I'd just use Thru-hikers Momentum all around. If you want to run outside for 2 AM pee runs w/o falling on your... bum or soaking through the booties, you could try either siliconized nylon or heavier nylon (Quest Outfitters is a great MYOG source, ~2oz oxford?) with some strips of Seam Grip running across the bottom as "treads." If you don't object to a more structured sole, you might even just use some thin foam glued to the bottom and siped, like they do with tires. Quantity of down depends on how high you want these. Thru-Hiker down is high quality 800+ fill and comes in 3-ounce increments. Particularly if you want the lower cut sleepie, 3 ounces should probably be plenty. Good luck!

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Down Booties on 12/09/2008 18:07:59 MST Print View

Scott has a great idea there! There are basically two types of "down booties." One is really down socks that you cannot go outside with; sleeping bag use only. The other has a sole on the bottom and waterproof sides so you can walk around camp or make a trip to the bushes at night. But, some of these latter ones do not has a removable inner down sock, so you can't wear them to bed! For best of both worlds, use Scott's idea or take out a second mortgage and buy Feathered Friends down booties.

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Down Booties on 12/11/2008 01:13:09 MST Print View

I would like to have some down socks for sleeping bag use only. I do NOT want the firm foam soles suitable for walking around the tent or camp. If you come up with a simple pattern, I would be interested in seeing it.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
how bout these? on 12/11/2008 08:33:11 MST Print View

http://www.bask.info/catalog/accessories/bearing/47241/

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: how bout these? on 12/12/2008 22:20:09 MST Print View

Yes, I think those will work. I had found those in previous internet searches but couldn't find any product information or an online retailer (at least outside of Russia!). This time I found Yeti Outfitters in Canada who has free shipping to the US. Came to US $59 for the pair.

For what it's worth, they are listed as 3 ounces, but the shipping total for one pair in XL said 6 ounces, which is a little more believable. Also says the outside is Pertex Endurance or Resist DT(?). Unfortunately does not have any quality info on the goose down.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 12/12/2008 22:21:26 MST.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Down booties on 12/13/2008 10:12:21 MST Print View

I too would like to find a good pair but being a size 14-15 in shoes my choices are slim. I basically have to choose between an $85 FF, an $80 TNF or an $114 Nunatak variant. I guess I could make them myself but with the materials already being half or more of the cost of the commercial ones I really don't see myself making them. Oh well, I guess I will be buying the FF ones since they seem the most versatile when I get the money.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
found it on 12/13/2008 17:01:25 MST Print View

There were Rab down booties. They also have one that has a removable cordura sandalish thing over top.gm

Edited by Paul_Tree on 12/24/2008 03:03:08 MST.

Dan Dyk
(leger) - F
sleevies on 02/17/2009 03:13:12 MST Print View

Make down booties from the sleeves of an old or thrift store down jacket. Polyfill works, too. Or, sleeves of merino wool sweater.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
JRB Sleeves as sleep socks on 02/17/2009 12:14:05 MST Print View

Jesse,

The JRB Down Sleeves work extremely well as sleep socks in addition to their designed role as sleeves that convert any vest into a jacket...You can find details on the sleeves, as well as viable list of alternative uses for this product by scrolling down on the sleeves page of www.jacksrbetter.com.

Shameless plug..... but it is of a little known, but approriate product being sought.

Pan

Ben Klocek
(benklocek) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
Teanaway Down Slippers on 03/09/2009 19:31:43 MDT Print View

I also found these Teanaway Down Slippers from Nunatak, but as was said before, you gotta remortgage the house for them, $116 for 3.5oz booties.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
Second Dan and Jack on 03/11/2009 20:27:16 MDT Print View

Dan and Jack are right on track. Modify sleeves from jackets and use Jack's idea of having the top openings large enough to go high on your legs.

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
Re: Down Booties on 03/16/2009 18:50:15 MDT Print View

I know you said you can't find a pair of down booties that fit your needs, but it sounds to me like you want to make something identical to the inners of the Feathered Friends down booties. Basically ripstop in and out except the very bottom which is pack cloth. They come with water resistant shells that have foam soles, but that's removable. http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html My FF booties' inners weigh in at 2.5 ounces per foot.

Someone also mentioned the Rab expedition slipper, which is ripstop in and out (though not with a packcloth sole).

Matthew Roberts
(matthewjamesroberts) - F

Locale: San Fernando Valley
Walmart Crocs on 03/16/2009 19:30:48 MDT Print View

In the great interest and persuit of this thread, I made my way down to Walmart and bought the light weight foam croc sandles mentioned above. Size 11, mens, black, 13 ounces on my digital scale...ouch :(