Recommendations for CO backpacking trip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Luke
(rluke) - F

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)
Recommendations for CO backpacking trip on 12/02/2008 10:49:51 MST Print View

Some "wishes" (but not necessarily requirements)

1. Lots of water (lakes or streams)
2. Good trout fishing (fly or spinning)
3. Realtively isolated
4. Peakbagging opportunities
5. Good high elevation scenery

Trip will probably be 6 days
Like to average 10-15 miles/day
We may (or may not) bring the dogs

I have heard good things about the Weminuche Wilderness Area, but I am open to ANY suggestions in CO. Thank you for your input.

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
RE: "Recommendations for CO backpacking trip" on 12/02/2008 11:38:55 MST Print View

I haven't been but hear good things about the flat tops wilderness area. Seems to meet your criteria.

Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
CO backpacking trip ideas on 12/03/2008 13:40:21 MST Print View

What time of year are you going? I have a couple of ideas if you can tell when you want to go.

Ryan Luke
(rluke) - F

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)
Re: CO backpacking trip ideas on 12/03/2008 19:56:22 MST Print View

We are going to shoot for mid to late June, but if your area has an ideal time our schedule is flexible enough to adjust.

Thanks!

David Palmer
(djpfive) - F

Locale: Arizona
CO backpacking on 12/04/2008 16:39:44 MST Print View

If you want good high elevation trout fishing, July or August are probably better bets in my opinion.

Jed Augustine
(jaugusti) - F

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies
Re: Recommendations for CO backpacking trip on 12/04/2008 18:12:27 MST Print View

Take a look at the Elk Mountain range. I did an Outward Bound course there (my intro to lightweight backpacking!) and thought it was wonderfully beautiful. There are a heap of peaks out there, the beautiful Maroon Bells among them. I think Snowmass mountain is the highest you can bag without getting technical. We only did something like 60 miles over 18 days, but you could definitly get a lot more out of the area than we did.

Here's a taste! For what its worth, these photos were taken from late June to mid-July after a low snow winter. The only ones I have on this compûter seem to be taken at sunset or sunrise...

Treasury Mountain, maybe

Sunset somewhere

Moonrise

Bear Mountain

Another sunset after a rainstorm; the exact location escapes me

Another sunset, forgot where exactly!

Treasury Mountain and Sawtooth on the right

Edited by jaugusti on 12/04/2008 18:14:26 MST.