Magic Golite Thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 10:32:14 MST Print View

Golite has long claimed to use a special hydrophilic thread that swells when wet and seals the seams on their shelters. I don't know if their thread has real technical merit, or is the product of an ambitious marketing manager, but I do know that I've never sealed the seams on my Golite Hut and Hex and have never had leakage.

So, what is this thread? How come nobody else uses it? And, is it available to the MYOG market?

Cheers,

-Mike

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 11:03:47 MST Print View

Thru-Hiker has something called Hydrophobe 100% Polyester Thread with Anti-Wicking Finish (near the bottom of the page).

Art Sandt
(artsandt) - F
Re: Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 11:42:10 MST Print View

Isn't most thread hydrophilic (i.e. water-loving)?

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 12:17:10 MST Print View

>> Isn't most thread hydrophilic (i.e. water-loving)?

Yah, I would assume so. In fact, much of the value of seam sealing is to make the thread hydrophobic to reduce wicking.

Nevertheless, counter to the thru-hiker hydrophobic thread, Golite claims that their hydrophilic thread swells when wet and seals the needle holes. Somehow, they seem to get around the wicking problem.

My Golite shelters don't leak. What's going on here?

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
RE: Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 18:55:10 MST Print View

Can't it be cotton or some cotton/synthetic mix? I don't know any synthetic material with such properties, possibly because it is not a thing one wants in synthetic fabrics. And I doubt they have it made specially for the purpose.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: RE: Magic Golite Thread on 12/01/2008 19:03:36 MST Print View

I don't know the secret behind the thread but it sure works in my Hex 3.

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Magic Golite Thread on 02/22/2009 22:35:12 MST Print View

Rasant #75 Polyester / cotton core-spun thread, 1000m

Polyester core thread with cotton surface. Use for tent and tarp seams. Cotton expands when it gets wet so seam will be almost waterproof. Use with #90 or #100 needle.

Rasant is certified according to the Oeko-tex Standard 100 for textiles tested for harmful substances.

Color: Black
Thread in a roll: 1000m
Material:70% PES, 30% CO

http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39_92&products_id=782&osCsid=c7d8290585f79ffb0db64f3f6977ed9b

Buy directly from Australia is cheaper.