Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag

Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 05:28:59 MST Print View

Has anyone read stories of survival without a tent or a sleeping bag in extreme cold? I would love to read them!

Thanks in advance :)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 06:03:24 MST Print View

Dougal Haston and Doug Scott summited Everest, and were forced into an unplanned bivouac at over 28,000ft. They survived down to pure will-power, i think. Worth Googling for the full story.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 06:09:07 MST Print View

There are survivalists that do it regularly for fun but I've never read any big published stories on things of that nature.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re : Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 06:28:25 MST Print View

Dougal Haston's and Doug Scott's story is told in "Everest the Hard Way". After descending from the summit, they spent the night in a snow/ice cave that they dug with ice axes. One of them had only a pile suit and windshell for clothing. A great story.

I think that there were similar bivouacs at lower altitudes by members of the Sayre team as described in "Four Against Everest".

Edited by jdw01776 on 11/26/2008 07:59:44 MST.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 11:29:59 MST Print View

On one end, there's the perennial favorite Touching the Void (book and now DVD) - extreme cold, altitude, broken and frostbitten everything.

On the the other, I don't know if you can get it over there, there's Survivor Man with Les Stroud (of other-thread fame)- he uses survivalist methods for warmth, shelter, food and water in all kinds of climates.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Unplanned bivy stories on 11/26/2008 12:28:02 MST Print View

AKA "epics" if you are searching the net, "Epics on Everest: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peak"

I seem to recall a good account in one of the books of the "Boardman-Tasker Omnibus".

Perhaps in "Starlight and Storm" by Rebuffat.

Check out explorersweb.net

Sit on the rope and do crunches, or just go with the shivering. Eat, hydrate if you can.

In 1983? Outward Bound had us just spoon, but there was 10 of us, lots of time in the middle.

Edited by Paul_Tree on 11/26/2008 13:50:22 MST.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 14:43:02 MST Print View

"Ray Mears' Extreme Survival" programme had some stories along these lines. In particular, I recall that series two contained an episode on mountain survival featuring the tale of an American father and son who were stranded for over a week after getting lost whilst skiing. You might be able to rent these DVDs as well as buying them (there are three series, with the first two being bundled together into one volume, and all are excellent viewing).

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re : Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag on 11/26/2008 21:44:06 MST Print View

> Dougal Haston and Doug Scott summited Everest,
VERY hard men. VERY!

Cheers

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag on 11/27/2008 09:07:30 MST Print View

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I googled Dougal Haston and Doug Scott's story. Fortunately, I was able to read the story in Everest by Walt Unsworth. I am grateful to the author for much part of the book available for preview at books.google.com

There are pictures too.
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=STs1loP7sfsC&pg=PA454&dq=highest+bivouac#PPA270-IA1,M1
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=STs1loP7sfsC&pg=PA454&dq=highest+bivouac#PPA418,M1

It all so profoundly inspiring..

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
another book or 2 on 11/28/2008 11:31:30 MST Print View

It's been a while, but I remember enjoying The Crystal Horizon quite a bit. The White Spider by Harrer.

We Die Alone has a guy buried in snow for a while. WW II in Norway, very exciting.

Edited by Paul_Tree on 11/28/2008 11:59:35 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 01/12/2009 21:48:26 MST Print View

This is well covered in many survival books and there is a whole bushcraft cult. Ray Mears is a guru in the field (no pun intended). Many follow the Nessmuk stories of George W. Sears and lean to the wool/canvas/leather/carbon steel gear.

Provided there are materials available, build a shelter and get a fire going. You can do a lot with just brush and forest-floor debris. Wet gives more trouble than cold.

IMHO, there are some weak spots in ultra-light gear lists in the areas of first aid and survival gear. Certainly ultra-light principles can be applied in building a personal survival kit-- keeping things to the minimum, multiple-use, seeking out the lightest, high-performance materials and so on. Adding a few ounces of tools and supplies can allow you to make a fire, build a shelter, gather food and water, and signal for help.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Ray Mears on 01/12/2009 23:17:54 MST Print View

Full length Ray Mears programs (Extreme Survival/Bushcraft/World of Survival etc) are available on Veoh.com.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 01/12/2009 23:25:35 MST Print View

Just take the BPL Wilderness Trekking III course...It's as close to survival as you'll want to get. ;)

[Yes, I'm just kidding. No disrespect is intended to those who've endured real survival situations in the cold.]

John Sixbey
(Wolfeye) - F
my dad's story on 01/13/2009 21:51:41 MST Print View

My dad did an overnighter in the mountains of SE Alaska once with no tent or sleeping bag. He was on a goat hunting trip with a buddy, and they shot one during the evening while they were away from their basecamp. They skinned the goat and realized they were too far to make it back before nightfall. So, they put on all of their clothing & raingear, crawled under the shelter of a low tree, laid down next to each other with their packs on either side, globbed on a whole bunch of insect repellant, and slept using the goat hide as a blanket.

The next day they finished cleaning the goat, went back to camp, and had a safe trip back. He tells me it was an eye-opening experience to spend a night out there without the normal gear.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
In my youth... on 01/29/2009 16:58:48 MST Print View

...back in '74, I hitchhiked to Vermont in December but arrived near Putney too late at night to make it to my friend's house. The traffic had ceased, and I was tired and getting cold walking in the winter night.

I had my jacket, wool cap, Sorels and gloves and perhaps too little common sense. There was a good layer of snow on the ground. I found an area off of Rt. 5, sheltered from the wind, to spend the night. I made a depression in the snow a couple feet deep, lined it with pine boughs, gathered a whole bunch more for a blanket and crawled in. I can not say how cold it got that night, clearly well below freezing, but I did fine. The Sorels keep my feet warm, and the pine boughs did the rest.

I do not recall thinking that I could be in deep trouble, it just seemed the reasonable thing to do.

Ah, the audacity of youth.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 01/29/2009 17:24:03 MST Print View

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. More of a treatise on the psychology of survival - but the case studies are intense and the writing is very compelling and vivid. It’s a good read for anyone interested in survival.

I'll second the recommendation of anything by Ray Mears too.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag on 01/29/2009 19:06:21 MST Print View

Mors Kochanski
Author of "Bushcraft"
I was lucky enough to take one of his courses.
The real deal.

Darryl Romm
(Lyrrad) - F

Locale: Greater London
Re: surviving without tent or sleeping bag - Bear Grylls Meets A Camel on 01/29/2009 21:11:12 MST Print View

Not for the squirmish this one:

Bear Grylls demonstrates how to use a camel as a shelter against a sandstorm. Warning: This is Bear Grylls, so that means gutting the camel and getting inside the camel for shelter.

Bear Grylls Meets A Camel

Edited by Lyrrad on 01/29/2009 21:23:35 MST.

David Heath
(snowguy) - F

Locale: Boulder Colorado
SURVIVING COLD WITHOUT A TENT on 10/23/2009 23:15:47 MDT Print View

I remember reading a book by Tom Brown Jr describing some survival shelter techniques and I believe his organization offers some workshops on survival training.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Touching the void. on 10/24/2009 08:31:21 MDT Print View

Last night, NH Public TV had the movie version of "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson. Simpson broke his leg while descending a serious climb in the Peruvian Andes. He spent 4 days alone escaping from a crevice and crawling across a glacier to get down. He didn't have a tent and I don't think he had a sleeping bag.
It's a powerful book.