Lightweight "lid" for cooking pots
Display Avatars Sort By:
Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Locale: Eastbay
Lightweight "lid" for cooking pots on 11/23/2008 15:56:35 MST Print View

Not sure if this is where to post this:
To save weight my husband has replaced the titanium lid on our Titan Kettle with a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. This reduces wt from 1.3 oz for the lid to 0.1 oz for the foil. The lid is not really necessary for us as we only use the Kettle to boil water.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 16:51:20 MST Print View

The lid DOES add a weight savings advantage, because you save weight of fuel by having quicker boil times.

I use a trimmed pie-plate lid.

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 17:08:20 MST Print View

Right. The foil replaces the titanium lid, keeps the heat in and allows for a faster boiling time than without a lid

Edited by eastbayhiker on 11/23/2008 17:09:26 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 17:25:22 MST Print View

Linda,

Welcome to the forum!

Think that this is your 1st posting on the BPL.

Question to everyone, "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

-Tony

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 18:01:42 MST Print View

Question to everyone, "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

The MSR kettle lid is kind of unique in that it has a tight fit compared to other pots. You can probably use this pot without a stuff sack and keep everything in place. Of course, a stuff sack is still going to be lighter than the lid, so it's not really a weight advantage.

You can pour water without removing the lid, so it might be slightly safer.

You can also drain water (like when cooking pasta) a bit easier with the heavier lid vs a foil lid.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Lightweight Lid... on 11/23/2008 18:14:25 MST Print View

Good question Tony.

I like to use the lid that came with my pot (.7 oz.) because I suspect it keeps the heat in a little better and also lets me know when the water is boiling (starts to rattle) which in theory helps me save fuel.

The most compelling reason in my mind is durability... I don't have to be careful with it the way I would with a piece of foil.

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 19:07:31 MST Print View

Thanks Tony. Thought I'd bite the bullet and try posting something. Still counting ozs. My base wt is down to 11.37 ozs and can shave another lb when/if I drop my rain gear and exchange the tent for the poncho/tarp.
LV

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 20:09:35 MST Print View

I agree with Daniel's comments about the lid of the Titan. It really does have it's unique advantages that outweigh (no pun intended) saving a few grams.

Edited by jasonklass on 11/23/2008 20:12:18 MST.

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/23/2008 22:01:24 MST Print View

Thank you all for the feedback. I can look for different/better ways to save wt. Better to be safe than sorry and I defer to the wisdom of those with the experience.

I will soon be making changes in my system that will do more for me than the foil. I'll post my list for feedback. It's always better to have more eyes look at it.

LV

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
no lid on 11/23/2008 22:02:25 MST Print View

Someone posted about using food-grade silicone sheet instead of a lid. Try searching.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/24/2008 07:13:30 MST Print View

Wonder what the boil time difference is between tight lid and foil lid?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Lightweight "lid" for cooking pot on 11/24/2008 13:38:13 MST Print View

> "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

I used an alfoil lid for a while on my Tiatn 1.3 L pot, then went back to using the Ti lid which came with it. My reason was that with the lid in place, all the more fragile stuff I have packed inside the pot is really safe.

While I haven't sat down and done the sums, I suspect that the extra weight of the lid is less than the extra padding I might otherwise need.

Cheers