Forum Index » GEAR » Smartwool Sock Fans...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Strong
(bmstrong) - F
Smartwool Sock Fans... on 11/19/2008 10:42:32 MST Print View

I'm on my last pair of old style Smartwool Adrenaline Mini-Crews I purchased a couple years ago. I was going to purchase another 8 pairs but noticed they now have a new style called PhD's. Anyone prefer the PhD over the Adrenaline? Where might the best place online to purchase a large quantity of sock's be?

(I dealy love my wool Injinji's but the color's stink. I'd prefer to purchase 8 pairs of the wool mini's but they only make them in black or green, no grey. Blah!)

George Phoenix
(perrito)

Locale: Joisey
Smartwool Socks on 11/19/2008 15:40:25 MST Print View

I know Zappos sells 3 packs of pairs of socks but I'm not sure they're the best pricewise. Check Campmor. They often have good prices for sock and multi sock purchases.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Smartwool Socks on 11/19/2008 15:50:06 MST Print View

Check SierraTradingPost.com
Their inventory is hit & miss but they usually have some Smartwool products, mostly socks. They have many discontinued items which might be exactly what you are looking for.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Smartwool Socks on 11/19/2008 15:54:18 MST Print View

Hi Brian...
I've been wearing Arenalines, mainly LT's, for about 18 monsths. Since I couldn't see exactly what the difference was, I wrote to Smartwool and just got this reply from consumer relations:

"There are a few differences in the Adrenaline and PhD socks.

The PhD sock offers many features that the Adrenaline doesn’t. First the PhD offers WOW Technology. WOW Technology adds additional layers of 100% SmartWool Duroyarn in the high Impact Zones. This gives the PhD sock line up to 30% more durability. Next the PhD offer the new 4 degree fit system. The fit system includes the Ankle Band, Arch Band, and the Upper and Lower instep Band. This makes a better fitting sock."

Edited by Quoddy on 11/20/2008 06:08:18 MST.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "Smartwool Sock Fans..." on 11/19/2008 17:42:02 MST Print View

John, thanks for posting that reply you got from Smartwool. The only 2 brands I wear anymore are Smartwool and Patagonia. I'll keep an eye out for the PhD's.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Smartwool Sock Fans... on 11/19/2008 18:08:13 MST Print View

Brian:

REI will have Smartwool socks on sale for 25% off starting on 21 November. I may stop by the local store, and pick some of the PhDs if they are the same thickness as the Adrenalines.

Brian Strong
(bmstrong) - F
Thanks to both John's... on 11/20/2008 11:59:57 MST Print View

I'll hold for the sale and grab a couple PhD's. I did run across this company though:

http://www.darntough.com/backroad-1416.html

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Thanks to both John's... on 11/20/2008 13:21:42 MST Print View

Yep - I'll endorse Darn Tough Vermont.

Cheers

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Thanks to both John's... (Darn Tough) on 11/20/2008 13:44:11 MST Print View

Yep I'll endorse them as well. In fact other than trying the new PHd's I don't want to buy any more smartwools. I love them but they wear out way too fast for me :( I know I put a lot of wear into them but still.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Smartwool PhD Socks on 12/03/2008 14:06:35 MST Print View

I received my Smartwool PhD Light Cushion Mini Socks and so far have observed that they seem a bit more cushioned than the Adrenaline line. They definitely fit snugger and don't shift on the foot at all. I never had a real problem with the Adrenaline's, but after a few days on the trail they did tend to distort a little, particularly when wet. I haven't got many miles on the PhD's yet, but they seem to be a step up from the Adrenaline's, which to me was something I didn't think was going to be possible.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Smartwool PhD vs Smartwool on 12/03/2008 14:18:29 MST Print View

different socks for different activities. I have the PHD's for trail/road running and they are great. Fit is def a step up from the Adrenalines. For hard hiking I use a thicker Darn Tough as they tend to last longer. The only time I would tend to move more towards the PHD's for hiking is in wet weather. They dry out much faster than the Darn Toughs I have.