Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON on 11/16/2008 13:15:54 MST Print View

You will have noticed in our web upgrade this week that we launched the new company icon, a blend of a feather and a mountain.

In recent emails from BPL readers to me, I've learned that there is lots of underlying symbolism in these two images, especially as they relate to (of course) lightweight backpacking, but also to other life aspects as well.

So a question.

What does the feather and/or mountain mean to you? What do you think of when you see these two images together, in the form of this icon?

Johann Burkard
(johannb) - F

Locale: Europe
Re: Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON on 11/16/2008 14:21:32 MST Print View

What does the feather and/or mountain mean to you? What do you think of when you see these two images together, in the form of this icon?

All I can say is that my stuff has been getting lighter and lighter and this website has something to do with it. :-)

Of course it's not just the weight, but less weight means more fun.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON on 11/16/2008 14:57:02 MST Print View

Thank you for telling us what it is--I couldn't figure it out!

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Meaning on 11/16/2008 17:52:20 MST Print View

It means to me that there are always bigger outdoor treks out there and they can always be done with lighter gear.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
BPL Icon on 11/16/2008 19:57:56 MST Print View

For some reason, I keep seeing a brontosaurus.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
BPL ICON on 11/16/2008 20:18:58 MST Print View

I see the feather, mountain and a Wooly Mammoth from a far. I like the image of escaping to the mountains UL. When are the stickers coming out?

Edited by Creachen on 11/17/2008 13:21:06 MST.

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Feather and Mountain: The Backpacking Light ICON on 11/17/2008 03:37:01 MST Print View

I see a dream catcher.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
see on 11/17/2008 09:02:34 MST Print View

Looking at the mini version in the address bar (Firefox), the white bits look like a trail runner shoe. Very appropriate!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
The New Backpacking Light ICON on 11/17/2008 11:29:15 MST Print View

...appears differently to different people. It's a visual backpacking "mondagreen".

Edited by redleader on 11/17/2008 11:30:48 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: The New Backpacking Light ICON on 11/17/2008 12:14:54 MST Print View

I have my images turned off when visiting this site, so I can't see the logo. Sounds like it may be all things to all people ;)

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: BPL Icon on 11/17/2008 12:14:59 MST Print View

Tom: I laughed so hard at what you saw as the logo. I thought I saw a wooly mammoth!

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Re: BPL Icon on 11/17/2008 16:52:42 MST Print View

You saw the mammoth! That's awesome!

But a brontosaurus, Tom? Duuuuude...watch those edible herbs...

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: BPL Icon on 11/17/2008 18:03:43 MST Print View

How about this...
The feather starting at the base on the right hand side of the mountain, sweeping the front, and then up and over provides a lightweight path in the form of a trail (helical up to the top) or perhaps switchback (common technique) to the summit or a goal. The mountain, in this logo, represents that of an obstacle, whether it be in the form of a physical mountain or just challenging terrain, which can be overcome using lightweight techniques.
The Moral:
When challenging terrain presents itself, a lightweight approach and path can overcome it.

err, wait, maybe it is a mammoth...;)

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: BPL Icon on 11/17/2008 18:49:33 MST Print View

Well, OK, I just HAD to turn my images on long enough to have a look at this mythical beast. Instead all I saw was the head of a Pokemon lying on it's back gazing at the stars!! I think it might be snoring.

Roman Ryder
(RomanLA) - F

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
Great Design! on 11/17/2008 19:12:08 MST Print View

I'm glad to find out that it's new. I noticed it the other day and thought I had been looking at it all this time without realizing it was a feather and a mountain. I was really glad when I saw this thread. lol It's a very clever design.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Re: BPL Icon on 11/17/2008 19:14:53 MST Print View

I see clouds that look like a Caldera Cone.

Andrew Richardson
(arichardson6) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Re: BPL Icon on 11/18/2008 08:06:29 MST Print View

I certainly see the feather and mountain, but I also see the brontosaurus and Mammoth. The trunk of the mammoth is the bronto's neck and the tusk is a little foot. Really, the tusk is more like a fin so maybe it's more like the Champ (or lochness monster if you aren't familiar with the Lake Champlain region of VT) but I can see why a Brontosaurus was seen.

Sweet logo though!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: BPL Icon on 11/18/2008 08:19:49 MST Print View

No matter how many times I look at it I always see some black hand gripping the handle of a trekking pole (that's the thumb over the mountain). Never even noticed the feather until Ryan mentioned it!!!

It could also be a white sperm whale swimming head partly down to the right, the swish going up its tail.

Or perhaps it's a crow's eye view of a cup of cappuccino with a swirl of cream in it?

Or the feather could be some person's big-lipped smile with a mop of well-groomed hair above and an eyeless face?

Sorry, I'm an illustrator, sooooo!

Edited by butuki on 11/18/2008 08:25:59 MST.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Big Wooly Mammoth on 11/18/2008 08:31:14 MST Print View

"I can see why a Brontosaurus was seen."

Thanks. Now, I don't feel so crazy. I must admit the big wooly mammoth is all I can see now...if only the locals would understand why I gotta wear a coat in the summertime.

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
inverted on 11/18/2008 10:05:38 MST Print View

White really advances, even as negative space. So, it's paradoxing itself a bit, rather than making a single solid statement, as logos are "supposed" to do. I like it more, more cerebral and mysteriously meaningful.

Regardless, here's a look with the colors inverted:
sdfsdf

Edited by Paul_Tree on 11/18/2008 10:09:20 MST.