Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 18:27:03 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 18:52:13 MST Print View

ahhhhhh very nice. So far this is looking like a homerun!!! Like the recipie section!

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 18:53:30 MST Print View

It's been a while coming, but I'm sure it will be a tremendous resource. Well done!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Wiki on 11/11/2008 19:16:41 MST Print View

Sounds like a great resource of backpacking information!!!!

Edited by Creachen on 11/11/2008 20:16:49 MST.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Re: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 19:20:25 MST Print View

Such a clean slate I don't even know where to start. All I know is that Bill is going to have a grand time in the MYOG section ;-)

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 19:29:12 MST Print View

Get in there and start adding stuff. This is the kind of thing where if we can get a critical mass going off the bat the ball can really get rolling and we'll have a great resource of information available to us.

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_backpacking on 11/11/2008 20:07:46 MST Print View

Call me a spoil sport but wouldn't getting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_backpacking complete have been a better idea?

It has far more exposure than this site.

Edited by PedroArvy on 11/11/2008 20:09:05 MST.

Kelly Gray
(rdw12and35) - MLife

Locale: an inconsistant state of being
RE: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 20:12:55 MST Print View

So far it looks great. Go BPL!....and with the backing of the forums....I'm beyond excited.

Stuart Armstrong
(strong806) - F

Locale: Near the AT
Re; Wiki on 11/11/2008 20:17:48 MST Print View

Petras, a proprietary wiki is much more along the lines of what BPL is about. They are in the content business. Anyone can change a public wiki and change the content and value.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Wiki / Other site upgrades on 11/11/2008 20:46:33 MST Print View

Hi All -- hang tight for a few hours. We're starting the site upgrade now, integrating the Wiki, the new navbar, and the site search engine.

In the meantime, enjoy the Wiki! It's live, and so is the new site search page.

Edited by ryan on 11/11/2008 20:47:15 MST.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Wiki / Other site upgrades on 11/11/2008 21:08:14 MST Print View

Oh wow- this is really cool. I can't wait to see what our community makes this wiki into!

Very cool and very collaborative!

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
RE: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 22:07:53 MST Print View

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: The issue discussed here was solved by new copyright policy
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The copyright policy (http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/BackpackingLight_Wiki:Copyrights) of the wiki is totally disappointing.

It goes against everything the idea of wiki as a free media is about. I do not see the reason why to create a content just to give all copyrights to a private company.

There is the worst case scenario that is possible within this model: The owner waits for some interesting contents to be generated by volunteers, then closes the wiki and asks money for accessing the information. Is it what you wanted?

I'd prefer to put my work into a free project that is helping the community and give it the rights to use the content it created.

The only restriction I'd accept here is limitation of use of the contents to noncommercial purposes, because I understand that it may be used by BPL's competition.

You don't have to accept the rules, there is nothing easier than publishing your content elsewhere. There are places on the internet that will host a free wiki for free, just because they feel that it is the right way how to accumulate and spread the knowledge.

In the end, I have to say I'm not surprised, I expected something like this when preparation of the wiki was announced. Companies simply tend to take and not to give.

Edited by zkoumal on 11/11/2008 23:05:58 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: RE: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 22:30:51 MST Print View

As a low-tech kinda guy, I must admit I had no idea what a wiki was until now.
This could become a really good resource, I look forward to contributing what I can and seeing it grow.

Just curious, will this remain available to non-subscribers or are there any plans to bundle wiki use with subscriptions?

Ryan Jordan

RE: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 22:47:45 MST Print View

Jan and others,

The intent of the Wiki is to preserve it as a free, noncommercial resource in perpetuity. I have zero intention of privatizing this resource, and I wholly agree that would defeat the purpose of the spirit of the wiki concept and community.

Here is the Wiki copyright info:

http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/BackpackingLight_Wiki:Copyrights

Best,
Ryan

Edited by ryan on 11/11/2008 23:01:50 MST.

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
RE: BPL Launches Wiki as Lightweight Backpacking Reference on 11/11/2008 23:03:47 MST Print View

Thanks Ryan,
that was fast! I'm really happy to see the rules to be changed to what a wiki should be - a project created by a community for public use.

Don Wilson
(don) - MLife

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
JMT hikers - let's work on the wiki page on 11/12/2008 00:32:23 MST Print View

I know we've got many JMT and High Sierra hikers out there. Let's see what we can do to make the JMT wiki page as informative as possible - an example of what the wiki can become as a resource for the whole hiking community.

Consider this a challenge to see what we can do.

Here is a link to the page:
http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/John_Muir_Trail

What's needed:

1. More gear commentary.
2. More comments on logistics and resupply.
3. More photos and info on the trail sections.
4. More links to external sites - photo albums, gear lists, planning sites, etc.
5. More background info on wilderness areas, geology, wildlife, etc.

I'll be working on it too over the next week or so.

Don

Edited by don on 11/12/2008 00:35:50 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
wiki. on 11/12/2008 05:03:32 MST Print View

umm... well, it might be helpful to use language less like "the intent is to..." and "the goal is too" and instead use language like shall and will and such. it's sorta the "to the extent practicable" of the wiki world.

that might assuage some concerns.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
wiki on 11/12/2008 06:40:06 MST Print View

Who verifies the legitimacy of information posted?

Mike Whitesell
(madgoat) - F

Locale: Ohio
wiki veracity on 11/12/2008 07:10:37 MST Print View

For those who haven't looked into wiki's before....

The beauty of a wiki is that is content generated by an enthusiast base, a collaborative document. While occasionally someone will come along and put bad / erroneous / slanderous info into the wiki, the enthusiast base will self police and correct the problem.

I for one am very happy to see this. Great resource!

Ryan Jordan

BPL Search Enging Bug on 11/12/2008 11:07:02 MST Print View

Hi All,

We found a small bug in our new search engine after we moved it live last night, so we're reverting to the old one while the new search index is created on the site.

This will take 24-48 hours, so the new search engine will be up by tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks,
Ryan