Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB Feathered Friends Bag

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
WTB Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering Bag on 11/09/2008 22:21:29 MST Print View

Interested in a 0F-15F Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering bag in size LONG for a WIDE guy. Models like the Puffin, Raven, Ibis, Ponderosa, Badger, Sequoia,or Kodiak. Bag must be have at least 56" in hip circumference.

I do not particularly like blue, yellow, or red bags, but less green can make them prettier.

Note: I was originally interested in a lighter bag, but later edited this post.

Edited by Coldspring on 11/14/2008 08:23:55 MST.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: WTB Feathered Friends Bag SOLD on 11/10/2008 06:59:20 MST Print View

SOLD
I have a long sage green Epic version Winter Wren with a 2oz overstuff. Bought it specifically for winter hammocking but only used it two nights. Like new condition and never even touched the ground. $285 shipped and insured (US only) including PayPal fee. PayPal address JohnCHaley (at) aol.com. Will ship same day that payment is made from verified account.
SOLD

Edited by Quoddy on 12/05/2008 06:47:03 MST.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Swallow on 11/10/2008 20:35:24 MST Print View

I have a red Swallow, size regular, I'd sell, with 800 down, 4 ounces of overfill (I just found the invoice), in like new condition, used no more than 5 nights, for $250, inc PayPal and shipping. Shell material is 1.1 oz nylon.

Edited by swimjay on 11/24/2008 09:52:27 MST.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

No Longer Interested on 11/13/2008 08:51:31 MST Print View

Thanks for the offers guys. I'm no longer interested in a 20F-25F bag at this time, I'm looking for something for 0F-10F.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

FF Snow Bunting on 11/13/2008 10:10:44 MST Print View

Well, I have a FF Snowbunting in 1.1 oz nylon, 2 oz of overfill, 800+ down, with a removable neck collar, in silver, with a snap-in removable nylon bag liner, which I'd sell for $350, including shipping and PayPal. Size is regular. Current price in Epic (45 oz, no overfill) is $474 plus shipping, plus cost of liner.

This bag has never been used, never been compressed, stored in a warm dry environment in a cotton storage bag. It's way warmer than I need (probably good to -10 F because of the down quality and the overfill.)

Total weight, including overfill but not the liner, is 43.4 oz.

Edited by swimjay on 11/13/2008 10:12:51 MST.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Need Size Long on 11/13/2008 10:20:45 MST Print View

What's the actual interior dimensions of your Snowbunting, lengthwise? I'm 6'0" and thick around the middle.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

WM's are Good To on 11/13/2008 21:37:44 MST Print View

If I can't find a FF I would consider a WM.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Bag length--WM Antelope $365. on 11/13/2008 22:56:02 MST Print View

Hey Tom, I'm sorry I never noticed that you need a long. I don't know what the length of my FF Snowbunting is, but it's definitely a medium, and I don't think it's ever a good idea to go to a lower size. On the other hand, and this is starting to sound ridiculous, like I'm a sleeping bag shopping center, I do have a WM Antelope (5 degrees), in size long, Super Dryloft (Super means it has a draft collar)(WM has switched to Gore Windstopper, not sure other differences there are, but the fabric is lighter.) This bag looks brand new, has been used about 3 nights, always in a bivy sack or on a ground sheet, and has been stored uncompressed in a warm dry environment.

Current WM price is $530., but here at Bags Are Us, $365. including PayPal and shipping.

Total weight is 3 lb 3.5 ounces; current production spec is 2 lb 15 oz.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Still Shopping on 11/14/2008 08:33:32 MST Print View

James, keep trying...you must have something else in inventory. LOL. I'm afraid that the Antelope would be too narrow, I know a Versalite is. 56" hip circumference seems to be my minimum. This is getting frustrating to see so many great bags offered, but if the shoe doesn't fit... Heck, while we're at it, you wouldn't happen to have a Marmot Lithium or Couloir stashed in the back room, would you?

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Still Shopping on 11/14/2008 20:12:18 MST Print View

Tom,
If you haven't found anything by Monday and can give up 5 degrees, PM me with an email address where I can send you photos of my 6'6" WM Badger (15F). I won't be able to get pics for you until I get home then.
Chris

Edited by back2basics on 11/14/2008 20:26:35 MST.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Store is tapped out on 11/15/2008 09:15:03 MST Print View

Unfortunately I think we've run through my entire inventory. BTW, the reason I'm selling these is that I've pretty much switched over to quilts, by Nunatak, though I think Jacks R Better makes some great ones also (and quite reasonable, though not quite so cutting edge) . I wonder if, with your girth requirements, that might not be something for you to look at also--a quilt is very flexible in girth, because it's adjustable.

Best of luck with your search.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Giving Up on 11/15/2008 10:17:48 MST Print View

"I think Jacks R Better makes some great ones also (and quite reasonable, though not quite so cutting edge"

Definitely not cutting edge, they must have got some kind of quantity deal on the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon in Kelly Green only. I wouldn't mind having one though, if they were more than 48" wide.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
RE: "WTB Feathered Friends Bag" on 11/15/2008 10:34:19 MST Print View

Tom, not to interrupt, but JRB has 3 quilts that are 61" wide.
I own 2 Jacks R Better quilts and love them.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

JRB Quilts on 11/15/2008 10:52:39 MST Print View

"JRB has 3 quilts that are 61" wide"

Do you think they would go down below 10F? I really don't like the color either. There are plenty of folks that don't like the Kelly Green, so I'm not the only one.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re JRB quilts on 11/15/2008 10:58:54 MST Print View

I think the Katahdin would because it is a winter quilt with 3.5 inches of loft.
I agree about the color but when I'm sleeping I don't have to look at it anyway. ;-)

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
RE JRB Quilts on 11/15/2008 18:17:00 MST Print View

Tom, et al,

The Katahdin will handle 10* for the ground sleeper with an adequate pad.... Reverse it to black side out if you want to be stealthier....If you are not a quilt guy or if you prefer not to deal with drafts as you toss and turn, you can also attach it to a DTEPC ... allowing for inward as well as outward loft the effective girth is 70 inches or so in this configuration. Note below 40 degrees you will need an additional pad to get adequate bottom insulation for this temperature.

Another option is the Mt Washington with full length omnitape modification when attched to a Down To Earth Pad Converter forms a bag with an inner girth of 60 inches, mid thigh to neck....FWIW, the outer girth is in the neighborhood of 80 inches with 4-5 inches of un-compressed 800 pf ...Zero and below is easy, however you will still need another pad underneath as the DTEPC is 1/4 inch EVA CCF (good to about 40 for most folk)... It is included in the BPL Bag Round-up from the summer OR show article, scroll down to bag 4...located here... http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm08_better_bags.html . Sorry but this quilt is not reversible due to its design....
More details are now up on JRB site... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm ... Scroll past the descriptive data for pictures, including ground use.

Remember That I'm biased, but these are just some options and their relative facts.

Pan

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Too High on 11/15/2008 19:37:45 MST Print View

"The Katahdin will handle 10*"

The price of the quilt is actually right at the top of what I'm budgeting, and I would still need a hood. Remember, I'm looking for a slightly used item, because I can't afford new. Still looking...

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Used FF bag on 11/16/2008 08:38:44 MST Print View

PM sent

Paul Tree
(Paul_Tree) - F

Locale: Wowwww
Another option for big people on 11/16/2008 10:25:48 MST Print View

You can check out Big Agnes, they are like quilts with a pad sleeve which is easy to cut off. And you would get some good material for a hood. Kind of heavy, but cheap.

This is why bother mentioning it: Girths for Long Bags: big agnes large girths

Edited by Paul_Tree on 11/16/2008 10:28:34 MST.

Roman Ryder
(RomanLA) - F

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
Montbell on 11/16/2008 10:46:48 MST Print View

The Montbell Super Stretch line is pretty nice. They have elastic stitching in the baffles, so the bag will stretch out as you move around and pull back in to minimize dead air space. There's also a drawstring at the bottom, so if someone shorter borrows your bag, they can adjust the length. I have a 25F bag and I was warm in the 30's with no base layer, so the rating seems to be accurate on them too.

Edited by RomanLA on 11/16/2008 10:49:14 MST.