Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
UL cooking platform
Display Avatars Sort By:
shane sibert
(grinder) - F

Locale: P.N.W
UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 16:26:30 MST Print View

For my first post, I thought that I would contribute.
I decided I needed a stove platform to help keep things off the ground while cooking, but have been unsatisfied with off the self cooking platforms. So I made my own. I went to an art store and found a sheet of corrugated plastic for $5.00, I choose this because it is light weight and fairly ridged and seems that It will stand up to numerous trail adventures.
I cut an 8”X8” section, just big enough to cooking on and keep my spoon and other things off the ground while it still fits in the pack nice, I store it the hydration sleeve of my backpack. It weighs in at exactly 1oz.

Sove platformstove platform

Edited by grinder on 11/09/2008 16:28:49 MST.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 17:04:27 MST Print View

Shane, that's a nice find! How ridged is that plastic? I'm wondering if it is ridged enough to serve as a frame in a frameless backpack? A larger piece would be required but, it could then be double duty!

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

stove platform on 11/09/2008 17:44:16 MST Print View

I don't think that it would be ridged enough for a pack frame. For that I would use Kydex plastic sheet of which can be thermomoled.

http://www.kydex.com/dimensions.asp

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: stove platform on 11/09/2008 17:54:10 MST Print View

Thanks Shane

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 18:21:04 MST Print View

I have no idea which forum I read it on, but someone successfully used this plastic, in the form of a "Vote for __________" sign, for a frame in an UL pack. While it isn't Kydex, I don't see why it won't do very well.

Todd

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 18:28:53 MST Print View

Micheal, that was my first thought when I saw it - perhaps it could be combined with a thin pad as a frame sheet - either way, nice idea for a platform. Looked at the sheet, I am guessing it is more rigid in one direction then the other?

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 18:38:35 MST Print View

Check out the GoLite Infinity Backpack review on this site. Golite uses the same corrugated plastic, reinforced with thin metal rods, as a framesheet.

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

cooking on 11/09/2008 19:15:06 MST Print View

Yes, It bends fairly easier along the grain, but riged enough or my cooking platform.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Re: Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 19:38:55 MST Print View

Golite uses the same corrugated plastic, reinforced with thin metal rods, as a framesheet.

Reinforce with tent stakes. Hehe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 21:32:29 MST Print View

Bamboo sushi mats work well as a prep mat/clean area for cooking I might add. They roll up small as well.
Another are the "disposable" cutting boards sold nowadays - they are wafer thin and fit in a pack (very UL) and last quite a few times - recyclable as well.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 21:49:13 MST Print View

That materiel has been used for a MYOG frame sheet and posted about 3 years ago. The sheet may have small diameter brass tubing run through the corrugations and then "formed" by bending to match the "spinal" curve of your choice.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/09/2008 23:16:46 MST Print View

Sarah,

Do you have a source for the "disposable" cutting boards you mention. I don't think I've seen them anywhere and I would be interested in looking at one.

Thanks,

-Mark

P.S.- Love your "Freezer Bag Cooking" Book. It has absolutely changed the way I eat on the trail.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: UL cutting boards on 11/10/2008 14:47:20 MST Print View

Mark, I have seen them at box stores like Wal Mart and in grocery stores.
Also, my favorite outdoor food online source has a version of them:
http://www.packitgourmet.com/Flexible-Cutting-Board-p94.html

PS: We are in final editing on book 2. I handed off the final manuscript to my husband last night :-) Very excited!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: UL cutting boards on 11/10/2008 14:58:30 MST Print View

PS: We are in final editing on book 2. I handed off the final manuscript to my husband last night :-) Very excited!

Probably not on a timeline that'd work to be included in a Christmas list?

Edited by jcolten on 11/10/2008 14:59:31 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: UL cooking platform on 11/10/2008 15:03:45 MST Print View

How ridged is that plastic? I'm wondering if it is ridged enough to serve as a frame in a frameless backpack?

I've seen that idear on the G4 Pack yahoo group ... with a pair of small diameter brass tubes inserted in the channels ... and then bent to conform to the wearer's back

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/10/2008 16:35:33 MST Print View

>I've seen that idear on the G4 Pack

Yup. Poster board can do quadruple duty as a pack frame, cooking board, choping board and under leg sleeping insulation. In an emergecny it also makes and ideal splint. Wonderful stuff.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: UL cooking platform on 11/10/2008 18:49:54 MST Print View

Grinder said: I decided I needed a stove platform to help keep things off the ground while cooking

Why? I've never used a stove platform. I might try a small cutting board in the future if I try a Roger-cheese-bread-great-walk-in-France trip.

I'm not saying you should not use it and you've come up with a light and innovative solution. I'm just curious how you made the decision.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Jim on 11/10/2008 21:15:38 MST Print View

"Probably not on a timeline that'd work to be included in a Christmas list?"

We are hoping on January! We will be doing a pre-release to those on our site's mailing list though with a special deal ;-)
Just need the final fleshing and go to proofs. Then to print!

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re:Sarah Thanks on 11/10/2008 21:30:30 MST Print View

Sarah,

Thanks for the info on the cutting board.

Also, great news about the book 2. I'll be looking for it.

-Mark

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: UL cooking platform on 11/11/2008 12:01:21 MST Print View

>Why? I've never used a stove platform.

I find them invaluable when cooking with a canister stove on uneven ground or snow, or in the tent (not recommended).