Vibram soled trail runners?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/08/2008 19:40:50 MST Print View

Does anyone know of a pair of trail runners with Vibram soles? I really like the comfort of trail runners, but all the ones I have tried have very poor traction. I'm looking for something that will offer good traction on trail and off, probably with a lot of granite. Something that will last 200 miles (should be easy).

So far both the Salomon XA Pro 3D and XA Comp have been a huge letdown with their Contragrip soles. Not sticky and the "lugs" seem to be too small.

I guess it's not usual to want a trail runner to provide good grip since it might create more drag for a serious runner.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/08/2008 20:42:51 MST Print View

My Merrell's are great - forget the name at the moment, but they have the Vibram you mention.

They also have a cool feature: a slot in the arch that a gaiter strap slides thru......No more worn out gaiter straps!!!!

Todd

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Vibram Soles... on 11/08/2008 23:23:14 MST Print View

Another vote for Merrell. I really like my Moab Ventilators, they dry out quickly and have held up very well.

http://www.merrellboot.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Multi-Sport/Mens/Moab-Ventilator.aspx

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/09/2008 00:22:02 MST Print View

I have the same problem with most running shoes. I love my Salomon XA Pro 3D's but their grip on the trail is, as you say, really bad.

The next shoes I am getting are the TNF Prophecy (or the Hedgehog GTX XTR). Vibram soles, great lugs, and very breathable. I think just what I want and need.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/09/2008 13:04:42 MST Print View

My wife wears Vasque footwear. I think most, if not all, use Vibram soles. Her's are definite Vibram and she's been very happy with them while rock hopping across streams or walking up smooth granite slabs on a steep pitch.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/09/2008 13:43:19 MST Print View

My 2c:

I don't think it is so much the lugs as the rubber compound on the sole. Fwiiw, I wore some Dunlop KT-26 (very light joggers) on our last trip - which was over some pretty rough and rocky terrain.

The sole of the KTs consists of a thin layer of carbon rubber about 2 - 3 mm thick, with an EVA foam base above that. The sole is quite flexible in all directions. The sole was worn pretty smooth before the trip started, and even smoother by the end, but I didn't notice any problems on any of the terrain. The grip of the smooth sole on the very jumbled and angular rock was excellent. I put this down to the use of old-fashioned carbon-rubber.

That said, my wife took some Salomons Extend Lows on that trip and she had no problems with the Contagrip soles. As those shoes had been used for maybe 6 weeks in France and for many trips since, they weren't new either.

> it's not usual to want a trail runner to provide good grip
I really can't imagine that EVER being true.

Cheers

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Re: Vibram soled trail runners? on 11/10/2008 18:29:12 MST Print View

I can't believe I am going to say this, but those North Face Prophecy shoes look perfect.

I'll look into Vasque if the TNF shoes don't work. It looks like the Vasques with the Vibram are trail shoes, rather than trail runners.

I forgot that Merrell uses so much Vibram, but a lot of their shoes don't fit me, which is too bad.

Thanks for all the input.