Forum Index » Gear Lists » 8 Day Winter Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: 8 Day Winter Gear List on 11/12/2008 08:40:55 MST Print View

Hi Mike. Thanks for sharing the reason. My interest in cold weather camping, particular use of snow shelter was piqued by your previous posts.

>It was a really amazing and empowering experience.
I can only imagine that :)

And your cartoon kitchen is very cool. love it!

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
8 Day Winter Gear List on 11/12/2008 09:22:37 MST Print View

Steven wrote:
==========
"Neoprene socks: Also on my list to check out tomorrow at MEC. It would probably be a bombproof system as I will have neoprene over boots as well. It just seems that with all this extra weight on my feet, I could go back to boots!"

My reply:
=======
I'm curious why you are using MONTRAIL HARD-ROCKs, and not a pair of lightweight boots? I think the porky 16 oz neoprene over-boots defeat the purpose of the HARD-ROCKs. If your goal is to travel light during cold, snowy (and potentially wet) weather, the HARD-ROCKs are particularly ill suited.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: 8 Day Winter Gear List on 11/12/2008 10:04:00 MST Print View

Mike,
I'm using the Montrail Hardrocks because that's what I have. :)

My old system (boots with gaiters) worked great, but after a few days, it was really hard to keep the boots dry and unfrozen. Sometimes putting my feet into them in the morning was painful, and even if I put them in my bag at night they wouldn't dry out completely. So I started to bring down booties along so I could dry my boots by a fire if req'd. Then sometimes there wasn't a fire, so i started looking into overboots to keep my boots dry. After I burned my boots. I looked a little closer at the 40 below overboots and figured that would be a great way to use trailrunners, eliminate my gaiters, save some weight and keep my shoes unfrozen.

Old System
Wigwam Gobi Liners 0.85 oz
ID Vapour Barrier Sock 2.25
Merrel Radius Mid WTPF 70 oz
Nylon Gaiters 8oz
Total: 81.1 oz

New System
Wigwam Gobi Liners 0.85 oz
ID Vapour Barrier Sock 2.25
Montrail Hardrock 40 oz
Plastic Bag 0.5 oz
40 Below overboot 16oz
Total: 59.6 oz

I saved 21.5 oz on my foot system, with the added benefit of keeping my shoes dry and having only 1 pair of shoes for all year round. I thought it was a smart idea...wasn't it?

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Re: 8 Day Winter Gear List on 11/12/2008 10:48:54 MST Print View

It's been ages since I've done any serious winter camping, and my experience was limited to the Adirondacks and the White Mountains, but our preferred footwear was vapor barrier boots. Very simple footwear system -- just socks and boots. I guess I'm just curious about the idea of turning running shoes into footwear suitable for multi-day sub-zero temperature trips.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Very impressive on 11/12/2008 11:01:14 MST Print View

I've been following this thread closely, and I'm impressed by what I have seen. I'm taking a 14 day (estimated) snowshoe trek on the Superior Hiking Trail (similar to Skurka's Icebox of '07) in January, and my gear list looks pretty similar with a few exceptions. (exceptions: MK1 XL for shelter, -20 down bag, white gas stove and mukluks. As for the reasons for them, I bought the MK1 on a huge sale and can't justify returning it OR buying another shelter, the bag and stove are what I have and the mukluks have been used in MN forever, and have earned my trust. I'm also taking VB clothes instead of a VB liner)

Your list looks very thorough. My only qualm is using the BB, but hey, go for it. As for the booties, While I would love to get rid of them and cut their weight from your pack, with your footwear setup they are necessary. I look forward to trip report and photos!

Good call on adding the TNF down coat/parka. I would really like to take a Montbell Thermawrap parka, but my temps could be -20 or colder. I also am opting for thicker down jacket instead of a UL parka better suited for

I also liked the photo of wearing all of your clothes. It is something that needs to be done for anyone who is heading to the outdoors. It answers the questions: How does my clothing work together? and What is the most amount of my clothing I can wear at a time?

Good luck. I'll keep following.

Edited by citystuckhiker on 11/12/2008 11:07:03 MST.