Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking cooking pot input needed

Display Avatars Sort By:
Darwin Roos
(darwin) - F

Locale: Bloomington, IN
backpacking cooking pot input needed on 11/06/2008 17:40:56 MST Print View

After getting input from various people, I think I am going to get an alcohol stove, possibly the Etowah II Stove Kit. Now for the cooking pot:)
I'm looking for an ultralight cookpot for one person which hopefully will be inexpensive. What kind of cooking pot do you use? Do you use it for both cooking and eating from, including cereal in the morning?

Darwin
daroos@indiana.edu

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Backpacking cook pot on 11/06/2008 18:15:32 MST Print View

Snowpeak 600 or MSR Kettle-both are Titanium and bulit to last.

Christopher Holden
(back2basics) - F

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Backpacking cook pot on 11/06/2008 18:26:24 MST Print View

I have a Ti-Tri w/ BrassLite 600, a Ti-Tri w/ Snow Peak 900, and a BushBuddy w/ FireLite SUL1100.
I can recommend any of these for a good stove or cookpot, but specific uses or environments may show one better than another.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: backpacking cooking pot input needed on 11/06/2008 18:36:27 MST Print View

Yes Ti is light but it isn't affordable nor cheap.
Poke around, there are a number of light alternatives made of HAA (hard anodized aluminum). Certain HAA pots are well under $20 and near the same weight.

While it isn't a pot in the truest form a GSI HAA tea kettle can be cooked in (if you have the 2008 version) as it sports a very wide top but is also a great water boiler. And at about $17-18...........

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: backpacking cooking pot input needed on 11/06/2008 18:47:20 MST Print View

Brasslite has a Vargo titantium pot (.9 liter) and a Vargo mug (750ml) at substantial discounts: $35 for the pot and $30 for the mug.

For your other questions:

1. using the "cook" pot (or "cook" mug) to boil water for rehydrating a meal in a plastic food bag helps cleanup & keeps the pot (or mug) clean for prep of hot drink;

2. a separate insulated cup (about 1.5 oz) keeps hot drinks hot longer -- and keeps the "cook" pot clean (if those benefits are worth the extra 1.5 oz);

3. ziplock baggie containing dry cereal, powdered milk, and dehydrated fruit does for breakfast -- just add H2O to the bag's contents, smush it up a bit, and eat.

JRS

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Re: backpacking cooking pot input needed on 11/07/2008 08:05:04 MST Print View

Hey Darwin,
What about an IMUSA Mug? I think they're like $4 at Walmart. Here's what it looks like with an alcohol stove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnynyKoe-HU&feature=related

Edited by jasonklass on 11/07/2008 08:06:38 MST.

Darwin Roos
(darwin) - F

Locale: Bloomington, IN
Thank you for the input on 11/14/2008 15:21:21 MST Print View

Dear all,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.
Take care.

Darwin