Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT 2005
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 15:38:12 MST Print View

This past summer I hiked the John Muir Trail with my brother. Without the information I learned on this site, I would have never been able to complete it.

The gear I used was more or less Ryan's 5 pounds sleep/shelter/clothing system + a 3 pounds MS Phantom, a 2 pound Bearikade, a 3/4 Nightlight, and more "easentials" than were originally on his list. A typical day was 16 miles/3,500 feet up and down, but we did have two 20 mile/5,000 feet elevation gain days. One covering Glen and Forester passes in the same day.

Below are some of my favorite pictures. They were all taken with a Ricoh GR1v using Fuji Velva 100. They were scanned with a Cannon Photosmart S20 using Vuescan and then processed in Photoshop. Click on any of the pictures below to see a larger image.

Hope you like them.

Bob

... sorry photobucket account was closed ... no more pictures

Edited by bobg on 01/16/2006 20:06:14 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
JMT on 11/18/2005 16:09:52 MST Print View

Great photos. Been to many of the same places and the photos do them justice. Both Glen and Forester in one day? Wow.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 16:11:03 MST Print View

Great pics, anyone of these could become a postcard :-)

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 16:47:59 MST Print View

Bob,

Nice Pix's

What camera / lens did you use?
filters? film/digital?

Roger

Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
Camera used in JMT pics on 11/18/2005 17:06:59 MST Print View

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Roger - The Camera was a Ricoh GR1v. It has a fixed focus 28mm lens. It is a film camera and is no longer made, although Ricoh just released the Ricoh GR Digital which Ryan is going to be reviewing soon. I didn't use any filters. The film was Fuji Velvia 100. It's very saturated slide film.

Edited by bobg on 11/18/2005 17:08:30 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Liberty Cap on 11/18/2005 17:31:05 MST Print View

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

I think that first photo should be labeled "Liberty Cap," not "Half Dome."

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Camera used in JMT pics on 11/19/2005 11:41:54 MST Print View

Bob,

Amazing saturation without filters!

You gota love the JMT it’s a photographer’s paradise the only problem is I never seemed to bring enough film. On my last trip I found myself painfully rationing every last exposure on my roll.

Despite the weight penalty I still prefer my SLR to a Rangefinder because of the options (Lens Filters and a more creative control).

Thanks Again for sharing your Pictures,

FastWalker

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Camera & film used in JMT pics on 11/19/2005 12:03:42 MST Print View

Agree, very good technique, using the right tools. Looking at these shots makes me want to go hiking, stat!

Me still likey film! I've settled on 1x36-exp roll/day +1 as my film budget. Most of the time it's enough. I mostly use a Contax T3, which offers very good contrast, saturation and flare control, and only carry the big guns on dayhikes and some overnights.