November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT 2005
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 15:38:12 MST Print View

This past summer I hiked the John Muir Trail with my brother. Without the information I learned on this site, I would have never been able to complete it.

The gear I used was more or less Ryan's 5 pounds sleep/shelter/clothing system + a 3 pounds MS Phantom, a 2 pound Bearikade, a 3/4 Nightlight, and more "easentials" than were originally on his list. A typical day was 16 miles/3,500 feet up and down, but we did have two 20 mile/5,000 feet elevation gain days. One covering Glen and Forester passes in the same day.

Below are some of my favorite pictures. They were all taken with a Ricoh GR1v using Fuji Velva 100. They were scanned with a Cannon Photosmart S20 using Vuescan and then processed in Photoshop. Click on any of the pictures below to see a larger image.

Hope you like them.

... sorry photobucket account was closed ... no more pictures

Edited by bobg on 01/16/2006 20:06:14 MST.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
JMT on 11/18/2005 16:09:52 MST Print View

Great photos. Been to many of the same places and the photos do them justice. Both Glen and Forester in one day? Wow.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 16:11:03 MST Print View

Great pics, anyone of these could become a postcard :-)

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: JMT 2005 on 11/18/2005 16:47:59 MST Print View

Nice Pix's

What camera / lens did you use?
filters? film/digital?

Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
Camera used in JMT pics on 11/18/2005 17:06:59 MST Print View

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Roger - The Camera was a Ricoh GR1v. It has a fixed focus 28mm lens. It is a film camera and is no longer made, although Ricoh just released the Ricoh GR Digital which Ryan is going to be reviewing soon. I didn't use any filters. The film was Fuji Velvia 100. It's very saturated slide film.

Edited by bobg on 11/18/2005 17:08:30 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Liberty Cap on 11/18/2005 17:31:05 MST Print View

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

I think that first photo should be labeled "Liberty Cap," not "Half Dome."

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Camera used in JMT pics on 11/19/2005 11:41:54 MST Print View

Amazing saturation without filters!

You gota love the JMT it’s a photographer’s paradise the only problem is I never seemed to bring enough film. On my last trip I found myself painfully rationing every last exposure on my roll.

Despite the weight penalty I still prefer my SLR to a Rangefinder because of the options (Lens Filters and a more creative control).

Thanks Again for sharing your Pictures,

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Camera & film used in JMT pics on 11/19/2005 12:03:42 MST Print View

Agree, very good technique, using the right tools. Looking at these shots makes me want to go hiking, stat!

Me still likey film! I've settled on 1x36-exp roll/day +1 as my film budget. Most of the time it's enough. I mostly use a Contax T3, which offers very good contrast, saturation and flare control, and only carry the big guns on dayhikes and some overnights.