Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Simple to make in the field alcohol stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Simple to make in the field alcohol stove on 11/02/2008 08:11:20 MST Print View

Materials: An energy drink can or beer can.

Tools required: small blade or scissors. Thumb tack or small nail.

Time required: 10 mins.

Simple stove

Method: Use the thumb tack to pierce a row of 30 or so jet holes round the can 1 1/4" up from the base. Cut the can off 2 3/4" high. Use your thumb nail on the inside to create a fold line 1 1/2" up from the base. (careful you don't cut yourself!). Fold can in on itself (this bit of origami takes a bit of practice).

That's it!

Using my 1.3l evernew Ti pot directly on top, this 5g stove primes in around 10 secs and boils two cups from 46f - 8C in around 10 mins with half an oz of fuel.
-Tallbloke- Got simplicity?- Yes! ;-)

simplestove3

Edited to add disclaimer:

I came up with this idea this afternoon. It may well have been done already by someone else, though I haven't come across the idea anywhere else. Fooling around with alcohol stoves is fun, but as these instructions are provided free, I will accept no responsibility if you sever your thumb, burn down your shed, ignite your neighbour's dog etc etc. ;-)

Edited by tallbloke on 11/02/2008 10:39:39 MST.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Interesting on 11/02/2008 08:48:28 MST Print View

Very interesting - I'll remember this if I ever crush my alky stove.

Did you have problems getting the fold level?

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Interesting on 11/02/2008 09:01:55 MST Print View

Hi Matt,
I scratched a faint line round the can to get the jet holes level (just sit the nail on a small tin/box/whatever and rotate the can against it). Then I just estimated a 1/4" above the holes and pressed a fold line into the inside with my thumbnail by pinching the can between my thumb and forfinger and rotating the can with the other hand. It wasn't perfect, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the efficiency of the stove whether or not you get a perfect seal when the pan sits on top. All the vapour burns wherever it escapes from. Don't be tempted to scratch a line for the fold though, or the can will split when you try to fold it in.

Edited by tallbloke on 11/02/2008 09:12:34 MST.