Backpacking stove input needed
Display Avatars Sort By:
Darwin Roos
(darwin) - F

Locale: Bloomington, IN
Backpacking stove input needed on 10/31/2008 20:25:08 MDT Print View

I'm looking to purchase a backpacking stove that is ultralight, good at cold and hot temperatures, high and low altitudes, and its fuel is easy to get a resupplies in the US and internationally (especially Taiwan). I'm also hoping to minimize the cost as much as possible.
What do you suggest, both in terms of the type and a specific stove (make/model).

Scott McClure
(scottmphoto) - F

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley
Stove on 11/01/2008 16:41:02 MDT Print View

While not the best stove on the market and not the lightest, I bought a used Whisperlite International off of the usual online site for @ $22.00. It is built well and will burn almost any liquid fuel available. I plan on getting something better in the future but as I usually only boil water, it works wonderfully and I'll always keep it at least as a backup as long as I can keep it working.

Darwin Roos
(darwin) - F

Thank/site on 11/02/2008 20:08:35 MST Print View

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
Where were you able to purchase it for $22?
Have you found in hard to get resupplies for it on long treks in the U.S. and/or overseas?

Darwin

James Bahner
(JMBahner) - F

Locale: Philly suburbs
input on 11/05/2008 18:24:16 MST Print View

i used a MSR pocket rocket this summer on a road trip with my girlfriend and i cooked at around 10,000 at the highest and down into the 30s at the coldest. its only about 3.5 oz. and was only 30 or 35 dollars brand new. the isobutane can be bought almost anywhere for about 5 dollars per 8 oz can. it may not be a gourmet stove but i cooked some good meals on it.

Darwin Roos
(darwin) - F

Thank you for the input on 11/06/2008 17:00:48 MST Print View

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Darwin

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Backpacking stove on 11/06/2008 17:08:34 MST Print View

Hey Darwin, I am selling a Snowpeak Giga-Power canister stove in gear swap. Check out picture- very good stove!
under FS:UL GEAR

Scott McClure
(scottmphoto) - F

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley
Stoves on 11/17/2008 09:36:13 MST Print View

Darwin,

I got my Whisperlite International off Ebay for $22+shipping. I bought it (for the price) because it'll burn white gas, diesel, kerosene, unleaded gasoline and even jet fuel (if I remember right). While I have never taken it overseas, diesel, kerosene and unleaded should not be a problem to find.