Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Snowshoeing White Mountain, CA?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Snowshoeing White Mountain, CA? on 10/31/2008 12:51:24 MDT Print View

Hi all.

Anyone see that article in the last Backpacker magazine about snowshoeing to the summit of White Mountain? Sounds like a good five (or so) day trip for late spring or so.

Perhaps we should get some CA folks together and do a little fair-weather snow camping and hiking? Try to do it lightweight-style - might be a nice trip for me to practice more L/UL snow camping/trekking.

Thoughts?

Dave.

Steven Nelson
(slnsf) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
White mountain on 10/31/2008 19:08:15 MDT Print View

I'm in! Let me know how I can help.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Snowshoeing White Mountain, CA? on 10/31/2008 19:50:37 MDT Print View

I would be interested and I have a few other BPL members/friends that would too!! Keep me in the loop. Thanks ---------- Dates?????

Edited by Creachen on 10/31/2008 19:52:20 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Snowshoeing White Mountain, CA? on 11/01/2008 09:37:11 MDT Print View

I'm in if it is January-Febuary. Need to take time off from work so a firm date is needed. White Mt. is on my 14,000 list. More a hike than anything, but still tough.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
white mountain, ca. on 11/02/2008 09:33:35 MST Print View

hi there.

yep, it's pretty much a walk to to top, from westgard pass up roads (snow covered) nearly to the top. so it's not a mountaineering expedition! but it's also on my 14,000' list (which is a pretty short list so far).

not really sure when the best time would be, but i would think later in the spring next year. longer days would be better, and a better chance at better weather. but it might be hard to plan too far in advance, since the weather is unpredictable. my vision for it would be blue skies and lots of snow to snowshoe up in.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: white mountain, ca. on 11/02/2008 11:11:42 MST Print View

as long as there is sufficient time for me to ask for time off I would like to do this. I was reading on the Mt. Whitney message board that this is a pretty tough hike. There are a few approaches to tackle this. This one needs to be researched pretty fully to see if it is doable

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
white mountain, ca on 11/02/2008 12:34:07 MST Print View

ken, what did the posts say about this, in terms of being a tough hike? i don't have the Backpacker in front of me, but i'll check it again later, and put some more details up. i think it pretty much follows the roads up from Westgard Pass all the way up, so it's probably 7000 of vertical, but at road grade climbing. of course, it would be melting snow for water and all that, which is why it would be a learning experience for me. i've done a three week hike mostly on snow, but with melting snow (water) available. more details to follow.

also, i figured since it's in Backpacker, it can't be THAT tough. not tougher than us BPLers! :)

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: white mountain, ca on 11/02/2008 12:51:51 MST Print View

See if this link works.

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/55393/page/1#Post55393