Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Unexpected on 01/02/2010 13:09:36 MST Print View

No one plans on being in a survival situation. It is the unexpected that gets you.

Unless you NEVER take off your pack you could become separated.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
yuppers on 01/02/2010 13:15:36 MST Print View

"No one plans on being in a survival situation. It is the unexpected that gets you.

Unless you NEVER take off your pack you could become separated."

exactly :)

if your pack is surgically attached to your back- you can kindly disregard this thread lol

A D
(wentworth) - F
Re: Re: Re: My Stuff... on 01/11/2010 22:02:09 MST Print View

I'm pretty sure using the spine of a knife WON'T have any impact on the temper of a knife.

Edited by wentworth on 01/11/2010 22:03:09 MST.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: pack loss on 01/11/2010 22:40:35 MST Print View

"I really don't understand why you would get separated from your pack. Keep it on you at all times. Even when I sleep, I use it as a pillow."

lol...don't you have to take it off to unpack, set up shelter, etc? :~)>

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: pack loss on 01/12/2010 07:21:00 MST Print View

One guy told the story of accidentally knocking his pack off a cliff after he set it down. The cliff was high enough that there was no getting his pack back.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..." on 01/12/2010 16:00:22 MST Print View

Browse the bookshelves and pick up a copy of "98.6 Degrees or The Art of Keeping Your @&$ Alive".

The author is Cody Lundin. He teaches wilderness survival.

In his book Cody describes what should be in a "survival kit". He also describes a mini survival kit and the components of a survival necklace.

The book is a good read with plenty of valuable information.

Hikers will become seperated from their packs every now and then due to unforseen circumstances. $&!+ happens! Having the necessary minimum supplies and tools can bring you back to hike again with a new backpack. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
separated. on 01/12/2010 17:12:19 MST Print View

I don't carry anything in my pockets unless it's a map in a ziplock bag, or maybe some jolly ranchers. My pack goes with me pretty much everywhere. Like Thom, if I lost it, I'd be in big trouble, especially since I do a lot of solo backpacking

I could see having a safety kit (small) in a pocket, probably attached with a lanyard to a belt loop (or in a zippered pocket). I think it would be more likely to lose something (unattached) out of a pocket than out of (or with the whole) pack.

As was mentioned earlier though, make sure your "survival necklace" has a breakaway section that breaks before your neck does, if you trip and it catches on a tree branch or something. Personally, I'd never wear one of those with a few things on it - but I can see it in my pocket, looped around belt loop or clip in the pocket. I don't think I'll lose my shorts, even if I fall into a stream or down a hillside.

Michael Baker
(mcpacker)

Locale: Minnesota
what I carry on 01/12/2010 22:01:08 MST Print View

When I'm out doing physical things in the woods I find excess things in my pockets are very uncomfortable. Pretty much everything goes in my pack except my map and compass. If I lose my pack I still have my map and compass. That way I can walk out if such a situation happens. It would suck but I think no matter what you carry in your pockets it is still going to suck.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..." on 01/13/2010 00:01:12 MST Print View

We cannot be prepared for every "what if." I do see some huge first aid kits in gear lists, anticipating a 1,000 what ifs.

I carry little in my pockets. It is usually only what I am going to need in the near future and varies from trip to trip. I do have a lanyard with a microlight, vitronix classic, whistle, and sometimes a minerature thermometer. Sometimes I wear it and sometimes keep it in my pocket, and sometimes in a side mesh pocket of the pack. At night I keep it in one of my shoes.

I just am not going to get separated from my pack. When I take a rest stop, I make darn sure that the pack cannot fall of a cliff or similar. Nowadays the pack is so light, there is no need to wander off without it.

Some good comments about not choking yourself with a lanyard have been made.

I would like to point out you are probably in greater risk of injury when wearing a ring on your finger, by slipping and catching a ring finger on something. So my wedding ring goes on the lanyard. It is just easier to take the ring with me, than have a discussion about it with my wife. Also, you are less likely to lose it on a lanyard. Mine fits kinda loose, so it could fall off while digging in the pack or other activities. And for those guys who might get married in the future... get your wedding band at a big national chain jewelry store. Buy their most common style; one that is always in stock. That way if you DO lose it, it can be replaced without grief from the better half. You can probably pick one up on the way home from your adventure. And don't ask how I know this :)

Edited by ngatel on 01/13/2010 00:04:25 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..." on 01/13/2010 00:11:28 MST Print View

"Nowadays the pack is so light, there is no need to wander off without it."

You never go on a walk after camp is set up?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..." on 01/13/2010 03:29:48 MST Print View

> You never go on a walk after camp is set up?

By the time I have finally sat down and started to cook - nope. Too much effort!

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..." on 01/13/2010 09:59:55 MST Print View

Jack,

In a word, No. I value your knowledge and expertise, so don't take the statement wrong. :)

At the end of the day, I am done hiking. If I am close to water, I will walk to the source. If I can't camp close to water, I get it before setting up for the night. I do leave the back to take a cr*p. And I may take a very short walk to enjoy a sunset or sunrise. But typically I position my campsite so I can enjoy the view without wander off.

I am not paranoid about losing the pack, just dilligent. Also, I like to do things in the most efficient manner possible. I have been doing this for so long, it is second nature. I don't even give it a conscious thought.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
no separation anxiety. on 01/13/2010 10:06:34 MST Print View

i agree nick. i hike all day and set up camp at dark usually, so i'm not straying far from my camp (further than that big rock over there for my evening scotch).

if i were to lose my pack, the most likely way would be falling down during a difficult stream crossing in early season. (and unlike during a kayaking or rafting trip, you usually don't want to "just float downstream" until you find your pack - you might not survive that).

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: If you were seperated from your pack... on 01/21/2010 20:01:52 MST Print View

You could of course end up with a second UL pack hanging around your neck. The logic seems questionable.
Don't get separated!
Easier said than done. Potty stops, water collecting, photography on a rest day (aka layover day, zero day), wood gathering. I don't normally carry my pack when doing those things.

Right now, I normally carry:
-lighter
-300# test cordage (6')
-liner lock knife
-p38 can opener (on key ring)
-button compass
-photo micro light
-whistle
-chapstick
-wallet (sometimes in pack)
-cell phone (sometimes in pack)
-map(s)
-sun glasses
-bandana

Seems like the following could be pretty practical if you had some good cargo pockets:
-Energy bar
-Duct tape
-sun screen
-tinder
-Garbage bag
-AMK Heatsheets or similar
-Water bag, condoms (strong enough?), or bladder
-signal mirror

Gotta watch the over all size, though. If it becomes impractical or ungainly, then I won't carry it.

HJ

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/21/2010 20:58:46 MST.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:If you were seperated from your pack on 01/31/2010 17:50:12 MST Print View

Roman and Craig, great minds think alike.This is what I carry in my pocket on every hike:My emergency kit