Forum Index » GEAR » Side sleeping and quilts

Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Side sleeping and quilts on 11/21/2008 07:41:56 MST Print View

David,

I'm not Mike but here's my 2cents:

I've used a JRB No Sniveller in a bivy with NO problems. I'm very happy with it, even though I move around a lot, and enjoy sleeping on my side.

Try opening a bag inside a bivy one night as a test - and this will get you started in the right direction. You'll know if the quilt's shape (which is different from the bag's) is better or worse for comfort than your test night.

If you like it, then buy one! I can tell you that for overall comfort and "body-conformity" I much prefer my quilt to an open bag spread on top of me.

Todd

Tim F
(kneebyter) - MLife

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)
military sleep systems on 11/21/2008 08:06:18 MST Print View

"optimal thermal protection with a minimum of weight. This is still the main obective of all military sleep systems."

Richard- I think when they developed the current Army modular sleep system they didn't get the memo on the minimum weight part. ;-)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Side sleeping and quilts on 11/21/2008 08:35:36 MST Print View

Thanks for the perspective Todd - much appreciated!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Side sleeping and quilts on 11/21/2008 11:28:42 MST Print View

Hi David,
I don't have a problem with using a quilt inside a bivvy-bag. Most of the time i have my sleeping pad inside the bivvy-bag. I just turn on the pad and bring the quilt with me automatically. I think i must adjust it in my sleep without noticing.
I'm 5'10" and average build, so i have loads of room inside the bivvy-bags i use. Size might be a factor.
I wouldn't purchase a bivvy-bag that didn't give me enough room to move about.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Side sleeping and quilts on 11/21/2008 11:43:01 MST Print View

I am a 100% side sleeper and switch sides several times per night. I have no problem with a quilt whether single or double with my wife. I always sleep in a tent, so I'm not sure if the bivy causes a problem or not. I also use a bag for deep winter conditions.

BTW: P.P. I don't even have to bring extra clothes in case it's colder than anticipated, I just snuggle closer to my wife until I can't stand the heat any more! :-)