Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 10/29/2008 15:47:10 MDT Print View

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think being obsessed with hiking, particularly ultralight hiking, has had an overall negative impact on my ability to appropriately interact with other human beings.

So here's my question: How have habits or perspectives that you've picked up by being an "ultralighter" made you most socially awkward?

I'll start:

1. Around my wife or friends, I'm always checking out the nutritional values on food packages, then raving when I find one that has a "totally awesome" calorie to weight ratio.

2. Around those same people or worse, strangers, I may at any time grab a piece of their clothing and ask them, with all seriousness "Do you know how many ounces per yard this is? No? What denier then? How does it breath?"

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota
nope, not at all on 10/29/2008 15:55:34 MDT Print View

You know I have never experienced anything like you've mentioned. Hell, when most people find out I backpack and ask me about how much I carry they are the ones who ask how I get my pack too light.

Don't get me wrong, learning to make do with less and having gear that serves multiple functions has impacted my day to day life but nothing like the self imposed social castration you describe.

To put it bluntly, you're just a dork. :P

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Going Solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 10/29/2008 16:03:14 MDT Print View

I am a DORK too!!! I have Ultralight Sickness to the tenth degree. I am constanly looking for new ways,products,gagets so on so on!!! Less is More and how many grams can I shave off that item. Every day in every way I get a little lighter and I love it!!!!!!!!!! Most of my close freinds think I am a FREAK.

Edited by Creachen on 11/03/2008 16:12:58 MST.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Going Solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 10/31/2008 10:00:55 MDT Print View

Well, at least I'm not totally alone.

Chad - have you been hanging out with my friends? They seem to share your sentiment. Maybe I just need new friends. :)

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Still a dork! on 10/31/2008 11:56:26 MDT Print View

You'd still be a dork to your new friends. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Still a dork! on 10/31/2008 14:47:26 MDT Print View

Dorks and Geeks must unite ;-)

Chad Miller
(chadnsc)

Going solo. . . on 11/03/2008 08:27:15 MST Print View

Just as long as they don't breed! :)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Solo on 11/03/2008 08:34:31 MST Print View

You know, one of the first steps to getting help is to admit you have a problem............

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 11/03/2008 09:09:25 MST Print View

> Chad - have you been hanging out with my friends?

I used to backpack and hang out with Chad when I lived in Minnesota. Birds of a feather...

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Road to sobriety on 11/03/2008 12:08:52 MST Print View

Devin, If a chaper exists in your community, you might drop in and say:

"hello, my name is Devin, and I'm an ultra-light backpacker...." :>)

Edited by johnk on 11/03/2008 12:10:41 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Road to sobriety on 11/03/2008 12:38:20 MST Print View

Yes....acknowledging you have a problem is the first step...

Hello, my name is Allison, and I first realised I had a problem when other people laughed at me for punching holes in my tiolet paper to decrease it's weight per sheet...

victoria maki
(clt1953) - F

Locale: northern minnesota
re:outcasts unite on 11/03/2008 12:47:26 MST Print View

allison, i've heard of holes drilled in toothbrushes(i haven't gone that far,i just buy baby toothbrushes)but holes in your toilet paper? very funny....why not just do what sheryl crow does, and use one square??? he he

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Going Solo- Outcast on 11/03/2008 13:42:30 MST Print View

I drill holes in my Ti spork. Saved 2 grams. HEEE! HEEEE!

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 11/03/2008 15:23:44 MST Print View

What's toilet paper?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast? on 11/03/2008 15:30:37 MST Print View

What's toilet paper?

mmm....snowpaper

A. B.
(tomswifty)
ul on 11/03/2008 15:33:10 MST Print View

I don't think you've gone crazy until you start looking into body modifications.

"Hey Doc, do you think we could drill out some holes in my femur? It really looks a little bulkier than it needs to be."

"I only need one kidney, right?"

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: ul on 11/03/2008 16:00:44 MST Print View

Yep Jay, you are a freak!!!

Hiking lighter just makes hiking much more enjoyable. Now when I buy gear, if I don't see how much it weighs, I won't buy it.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Going Solo- OUTCAST on 11/03/2008 16:11:59 MST Print View

Hey Ken whats the name of that sewing shop in Berkley that does backpacking stuff? U- FUGAZI

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Going Solo- OUTCAST on 11/03/2008 16:14:26 MST Print View

Jay I forget. If you were to leave REI in Berkeley and drive north on San Pablo it will be on the right hand side just after Gilman St. That is all I can remember. The building sticks out like a sore thumb. They do great work too.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Going Solo-outcast on 11/03/2008 16:19:41 MST Print View

Thanks Ken, I can find it on San Paublo- its all coming back to me know. What about White Mnt.? Seems like a long drive when there other possabilties [sp] closer.