bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: What's Best on 01/29/2009 21:49:16 MST Print View

Here is what I use:

Cold weather - MSR Pack towel @ 1.6 oz. It has insulating properties which do come in handy.

Mild weather - Handiwipe @ .3 oz.

Hot weather - Bandana @ .9 oz often worn around neck after soaking with water.

Cold weather - no bathing for me.

Other weather, a swim if water is available.

Don't really need a sponge anymore, since I just boil water. I only need to clean my spork and maybe my cup if I let coffee dry out in the bottom.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
bancanna/packtowel-whats best? on 01/31/2009 19:10:05 MST Print View

first criteria: will it burn?
If not, it is a pot lifter.

Second, does it absorb water?
If so, it is a towel

Does it block the sun?
Then it's a head cover.

In cold, wet weather, a cotton bandanna is less versatile, but most of the time, it is the best - especially in the extra large size. IMHO

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: bandanna/packtowel-whats best? on 01/31/2009 20:16:32 MST Print View

I use my shop towels instead of bandana and packtowel.

Justin Chaussee
(judach) - F

Locale: Earth
Re: bandanna/packtowel-whats best? on 02/20/2009 18:43:01 MST Print View

you know, I went back and forth with myself on this very topic. When I gave it some thought, I've NEVER used a packtowel, but I've ALWAYS had a bandana with me as my preferred headware and subsequently used it for everything from a towel to a pot-potholder to a cleaning rag and I've never really needed anyting else. It's not as effective for using as an actual towel or a cleaning rag for dishes due to it's absorbansy (if that's a word...), but I've been using bandanas my whole hiking/camping life. Bandanas - 4 for $1.00 or about 2-3 bucks for a super fancy uber cool printed one. packtowel - almost 20 bucks for the MSR version! Around 10 bucks is the cheapest I've found quality ones. If I'm going to actually USE a camptowel rather than my bandana, I want a pretty quality towel that's going to trump what I've been using my whole life; but I'm just not willing to spend the amount of money for a quality towel for the same reason. I've found the really cheap ones (I've found a few packtowels for around 3 bucks) don't work much better than my bandana anyway and look pretty stupid wrapped around your head... ;-) All in my humble opinion...

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
Re: Buff on 03/14/2009 22:53:37 MDT Print View

If you go on eBay, you can get a generic version of the "Buff" for 5.00...it is very versile....I'm quite impressed.

Dana S
(Naman919) - F

Locale: Richmond, Virginia
Re: Re: Buff on 03/18/2009 17:22:32 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by Naman919 on 03/18/2009 17:33:07 MDT.

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
bandanna on 04/22/2009 12:40:59 MDT Print View

i find that a bandanna is too quickly saturated, and even after wringing, it looses it's ability to wick and hold liquids. maybe it's just the wicked thin ones i bought in a 5 pack years ago. they are great for tasks that don't require drying. i carry a Sham-wow type product with me to dry my skin or hair after a dip in the stream.

Edited by asciibaron on 04/22/2009 12:41:29 MDT.

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
anything but a packtowel on 04/22/2009 15:58:57 MDT Print View

Those fake chamois-type towels (like shamwow) are the bomb.
You can get them for about 2.50 ea shipped on ebay, and they are made in Germany just like the shamwow ones. I use them cut in half, at about 1.25oz and it's plenty big to dry my whole body, tarp walls, whatever, quickly and completely. Even wet, after wringing out, they absorb almost the same amount of water as when completely dry. Try it at home in a measuring cup. Feels real nice on top of my FlexAir pillow at night, too. Soaks up the sleep slobber!

Pack towels are so hard to handle (they roll up in your hand when wiping) and mostly too small, and won't absorb anywhere near as much water. I hate them.

I always wear a bandana on my head or neck and use it for a pre-filter and pot lifter. They are cheap and the bright ones are great for hunting season. The buff thing might be better. Always wanted to try one, but I have all these bandanas around.