Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Marking your Ti pot

Display Avatars Sort By:
Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Marking your Ti pot on 10/20/2008 17:08:52 MDT Print View

Several times I've noticed questions regarding how one might mark their Ti pots for measuring cups of water. I just made a jig and scribed 1/2 cup marks in my BPL SUL1100 Titanium pot.

The process is as follows:

1. Get a stick of wood that's a few inches deeper than your pot.

2. Using an accurate measuring cup (I used 1/2 cup) pour one full measure of water into the pot.

3. Dip the stick into the pot, resting the stick firmly on the bottom. Quickly remove the stick and mark the water line on the stick. Add one more measure of water and repeat, until you reach the largest amount of water you'll ever be boiling.

4. Use a square to draw a line 90° across the stick at each mark you've made.

5. Drill a hole completely through the stick, using the line to keep the hole as close to 90° as possible.

6. Mount a "cross bar" on the stick so the cross bar rests on the pot rim, when the stick is firmly pressed to the bottom of your pot.

7. Insert a sharpened nail, or other hard metal as you may have, firmly into the hole closest to the end of the stick. In my case it was the 1/2 cup hole. I used the pin from a metal scribe. Very hard, very sharp.

8. Keeping the stick firmly pressed onto the pot bottom, rotate the pot, while scribing a line around the inside circumference of the pot. Move scribe to next hole and repeat.
The pot marking tool
The Tool
Marking the pot
Scribing the pot
The scribed pot
Scribed pot

It's not difficult and took me about 30 minutes, including assembling all the parts. I did have to recharge the Makita battery.

Edited by redleader on 10/20/2008 17:09:59 MDT.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/20/2008 17:25:19 MDT Print View

Well done. When I first read the title I thought it said "Making your Ti pot," and thought I was in for some serious MYO. Step 1 - buy deep-drawing or hydroforming press..

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/20/2008 17:32:06 MDT Print View

For a truly "Green" experience it should be steam powered using yard waste to fire the boiler.

John Z
(Feather) - MLife
Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/20/2008 19:34:26 MDT Print View

Dennis,

Thanks for sharing your creative solution.

Keep in mind that the stick itself has volume, and displaces some of the water. The stick in your picture appears relatively large. I recommend using a very thin stick or dowel to obtain the "water marks", and then transfer those markings to the larger stick that is part of the scribing jig.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/20/2008 19:52:14 MDT Print View

I allowed for that after the second mark. The accuracy of the drilling really adds a variable that means the whole effort is approximate only. It's not close enough for lab work but works fine for dinner.

Eric Eaton
(ericeaton) - F
Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/21/2008 14:59:11 MDT Print View

OK. So maybe I'm not being very scientific, but, I simply fill my FireLite 550-SUL Titanium Cookpot near the brim (allowing a little play for my very hi Klutz index), heat it, and then pour into a meal bag either to the bottom corner of the pot for about one cup or to the edge of the ring on the bottom of the pot for 1.5 cups. If I need two cups, I empty the pot into the baggie.

This approximation method has worked for every one of my mix-in-ziploc meals.

Although it is simple and easy, it admittedly does take some of the MYOG fun out of things...

Hope this helps.

Eric

PS. I too mis-read this as "Making your Ti pot".

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/21/2008 16:07:07 MDT Print View

Your method works well for a small pot but I find it useful to have marks for my SUL1100.

Edited by redleader on 10/21/2008 16:08:26 MDT.

Eric Eaton
(ericeaton) - F
Re: Re: Re: Marking your Ti pot on 10/21/2008 18:50:28 MDT Print View

I see your point. Graduated markings do seem mighty useful on a larger pot.